icon

use supplied crossovers or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willycad 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2009 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

I have an older Alpine HU (CDA-7897) that I have been told is a really nice piece (hope it hangs on a little longer)... it has an active crossover setup in it to adjust freq. points and such.  I originally was running Boston Z6 components and was not using the Boston crossover that came with it.  Instead, I was selecting appropriate freq. cutoffs from the deck and was powering the 2 mids and 2 tweets with a JL 300/4, so 70-watts to each of the 4 drivers).  So the crossovers sat in the closet until I recently sold the components.  I just ordered some Pioneer Premier components and was planning on doing the same thing.... just wondering is this is really the right way to go?  I have been told by "audio people" that by running the drivers active, more of the amps power actually gets to the speaker and that running the power through a passive crossover network will "eat" some of the amps power.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

"I don't hate Jeeps, I just feel sorry for them"
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2009 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
I would use the supplied crossover that comes with the component system. If you set your crossover point using an amp or the stereo, you will tune it so that your midrange will sound the way you like it. The problem is that you will be sending mid-range frequencies to your tweeter as well. This is where the crossover comes into play. It separates the mids from the highs and vice versa. I would use the crossover.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic