icon

’99 f250 airbag light problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
regal1975 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I recently removed the dash panel on a 99' f250 with the v10 engine. I only disconnected the radio and the harness that connects to the airbag "off/on" switch. The wires were not yellow and had to be removed to remove the dash so I figured it was safe. Now the light is on. I disconnected the battery, pulled the fuse, and double checked all of the pins in the plug.. the light is still on.. any ideas on how to reset this or why it is lit at all?
thanks!
regal1975 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
also.. .the only wires involved in this were the overdrive switch wires on the shifter. they were cut due to improper factory placement and I simply soldered them back together. That is all I did, there was no alarm/rs/radio install done in this vehicle. Everything is stock in it.
Thanks
silent bob 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

If you turned the ignition on with the passenger airbag lamp disconnected, many vehicles will detect that as a fault in the system and set a code.  Probably have to visit your friendly neighborhood Ford dealer to turn it off.  Unlikely to have done any actual damage though.

the part came out once
therefore it must go back in
where is that hammer
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I know it's not logical but UK spec VW/Audi (i.e. right hand drive with the glovebox and switch on the left) ALL have this problem.  Simple rule disconnect NOTHING with the ignition on, NEVER disconnect an airbag on/off switch even with no yellow wiring unless you first disconnect battery and wait 20 mins for static dispersal.
simplyfalling 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
its going to store that code until its cleared even if the fault no longer exists.  The snap on ethos will give you coverage for this vehicle if you wanted to shut it off without a trip to the dealer
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
On Ford products, if you unplug the passenger airbag light while the key is on it will simply go back out the next time the key is cycled and it is plugged in. The Passenger airbag switch on the other hand will keep the light on until it is erased by the dealer. It's a simple process, takes only a few minutes...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic