icon

on a 1999 yukon denali radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'm installing a double din in a 99 Denali. And out of all the cars that can trip me up... This car!!! I was kinda tied up on time and stuff. Didn't have a 70-1858 laying around so I thought I'd just hard wire the wires.
I have the 2 front door speakers working and the right rear. But nothing but hiss coming out of the left rear. And when I fade the radio from front to rear, the sound fades from the front right to the front left speakers.
So I'm trying to get my speakers to be the correct and get the left rear speaker to work.
The Yukon has BOSE. The things that are tripping me up is that they have 2 bare silver wires. I don't remember seeing those before on an 70-1858 style gm harness bose or not. But none the less. The other thing is I have a dark green wire as the BOSE amp turn on. Which screwed me up good. Because the other dark green tests +11v with the factory radio plugged in also which made me think that was the amp turn on. Those are the only 2 wires that test near 12v with the factory radio plugged in aside from the power and acc wire.
I've cut the other green wire that is not the amp turn on, I've cut the wires with the white stripe. I think I've even cut the pink wire. But when I plug in the factory stereo, all the speakers play fine. The other thing is... I forget exactly. But I think it's the light green wire, When I disconnect the speaker lead off the radio to this light green wire, no music at all.
I'm frustrated the the 10th power. On such a rookie install... Hope someone can help. I promise to post a pic of my install if I can get help!
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
"I'm installing a double din in a 99 Denali." Double DIN what?
If ALL the wires used for power are hooked up correctly, then the fading can be fixed by setting the source to just one channel. Say, front/right, then only permanently connect the wires in the dash that make only that speaker play. Do the same method for all four channels. They have test tools and wiring diagrams that are recommended methods of wire locating. I rely on a tone generator and audible wand. Even through the factory amp they can determine which wires go where.
This is what I do for FUN!
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
So for future reference. I found the problem. The wire colors are wrong... Very very wrong. Sorry but I was in such a rush to finish this car I didn't have time to take note of what colors went where.
But for those who are stuck on this vehicle in the future. Get a 70-1858 it's easier than hunting down wires. Because those unshielded silver wires I was talking about, are actually speaker signal wires and not just regular ground wires as you would expect. Following the wiring diagram colors will send you on a wild goose chase.
I was installing a Double-Din microwave oven from Valor.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic