icon

sony bullet camera fogging up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kitt350 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
[url]http://cgi./SONY-HTC231-CCD-480-LINE-Color-Bullet-Security-Camera-a_W0QQitemZ140282512982QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20a97d4656&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14[/url]
This is the type of camera I have in my car.  I actually have 3 of them.  One installed in the nose of the car, one installed behind the rear view mirror and one installed in the key hole for the hatch pointing out back.  The one behind the rear view and the one in the lock hole work just fine but for some odd reason after turning on the one in the nose after a few minutes it fogs up and can't really see anything.  It worked fine for a few days but then it just started fogging up and not sure the reason why.  It is almost like there is some condensation inside of it and once turned on it warms up then fogs up.  Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this or another cause as to why it is doing this?  Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
kitt350 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
This is all installed in a 89 pontiac firebird KITT replica.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
I know there is some anti-fog applications that are used for windows fogging...Not sure if this will help...Just wanted to throw that out here...Is the one in the nose of the car close to the radiator...Does it only fog with the car running...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
kitt350 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
The camera is actually mounted in front of the radiator and in between 2 fog lights.  It will fog up even if the car isn't running.  It is almost like when the camera is turned on it warms up and causes it to fog up.  I pulled it from the car and took off the lens cover and noticed that the lens was foggy and then then it went away.  But I have done this before and put it back together and put it back on the car and it will fog back up again.  It is really anoying that one out of 3 cameras does it.  I may have to try some of that anti fog on the lens and see what it does.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
I think the one brand is made from rainX...I believe the fog stuff is fogX
M.E.C.P & First-Class
kitt350 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
I might have solved the problem, or might have solved it for right now.  I brought the camera into the house and took the lenses off and let it sit for a bit.  Cleaned off all the lenses and put it back together making sure the lens cover was on tight, might have been the issue but not sure.  Using and old computer power supply I was able to power up the camera and hooked it up to the tv and let it run for about 15 minutes with no fogging up at all.   Took it back out to the car and hooked it up and let it run for another 5 minutes and doesn't look to be any fogging up.  I will test it more tomorrow when it isn't raining out.  Like I said it might be fixed for now.  When I originally installed it ,it worked fine for a few days before the fogging started.  Not sure if I took the lens cover off before that or not. Will just have to try it and see if it starts fogging up again. 
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2009 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

...! Yeah if you had no problems for a couple days...Then there was fog/moisture/condensation...There is defitnely a sealing/weatherproofing problem...Not sure how those cameras are put together...But maybe some clear epoxy...If that would interfere with operation of the camera...Maybe a custom made gasket...Dunno...Just some thinking while typing...! Theres also that liquid rubber in a can...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic