icon

rca cables

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
The RCA cables im using are some off brand, inside, they have a wire inside black insulation, and a bare wire.
I also have some scrap Monster RCA cables, Inside of them is a red insulated wirem a white insulated wire, and a bare wire....? rca cables - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
The bare wire is known as the shield.  It is to be connected to the connection on the board that is connected to the outer part of the RCA Jack.  Is there a red and white in one cable?  Or is there a red wire in one cable and a white wire in the other cable?
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
rca cables - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
this is wut im workin with..
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
picture wont work... but all it is is clear insulation, bare wire, black insulated wire
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
And thats how i had connected it.. i soldered the center conductors to the backside of the RCA receivers. and soldered one wire for the shields on the bottom side of the amp where its soldered to the circuit board.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

The black insulated wire is the center conductor and the bare wire is the shield.

rca cables - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Your picture did not work because it was wider than 640 pixels.  I had to crop it so it would post.

blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2009 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Ok... So, It works... Well, Half of it works. When i connect the right channel, the sub starts clippin hella bad and the amp goes into protect mode.. the left channel works fine. Im not wasting anymore time tryin to fix a $95 amp. rca cables - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Thank you for all your help with this.
And if anyone is sellin a 1000 to 2000 watt amp... im lookin rca cables - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2009 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
I have to wonder why this was "easier" or "smarter" than spending the 99 cents at The Shack for a pair of ends, soldering those into place on the end of the RCAs, and not risking the amp's health and functionality. Now, the crystal ball forsees a new amp (which you have already mentioned you will now be after) or long expensive repair. 100 dollar amp that was working fine and is now a doorstop, or 1 dollar repair, requiring soldering (which was required the other way, too...) and NOT disassembling the amplifier. 100 to 1 ratio is NOT smart, dude!
You said you wanted to do it without spending ANY money, now you are spending several hundred more than you EVER wanted to, throwing away what WAS a working piece of gear, and then paying for a replacement piece of gear. Consider this situation the next time you think about "not spending any money", and jump into some territory you are not familiar with.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2009 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
i understand what your sayin, but after disassembling the amp i found another problem, Where the RCA receiver was soldered to the bored, the pads had been broken..
So i had the tip of the RCA cable broken off inside the amp
Broken RCA cable
RCA cable receiver not even electrically connected to the circuit board
So simply getting a new end Wouldnt have solved my ptoblem
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2009 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
ive run into this a couple of times in the past, the first time the RCA connectors on the circuit board in the amp came loose(cheap solder job) the second time (diffrent amp) a couple of the transistors burned out and caused a short, hence when i hooked up the power to the amp it arced and sparked. the first case was an easy fix....the second was a little more pricey. not sure if this story helps you but if you havent checked them it is a place to look.
All Bleeding stops.....eventually!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic