Viper 5902 vs 7901?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmorales831 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

angelars wrote:
That's ridiculous! The only thing that's really different about it is the remote. Mine better come with a installation manual or it's going right back!
My Bitwritter is V2.6 and it's just a few months old. I'd be surprised if they went up that many versions in just a few months. Who is giving you this information?
Might be a good idea if someone could post the link for the installation manual.

I can't really remember where I saw the v2.9, but I remember it wasn't v2.6.  Anyway, when I plugged in my bitwriter v2.6 it read something like "Not a compatible system" or something.  Yeah, I'd really appreciate a link to the install manual if anybody out there has one.  Anybody out there a Directed Dealer?

angelars 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
As far as I know to date there is no such thing as 2.7, 2.8 or 2.9 Bitwritter OR upgrade chip. 2.6 is the current/latest version. The alarm itself is basically identical to the 5901, so 2.6 should work fine. Try another Bitwritter or alarm module to confirm that one or the other is not bad.
jmorales831 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

angelars wrote:
As far as I know to date there is no such thing as 2.7, 2.8 or 2.9 Bitwritter OR upgrade chip. 2.6 is the current/latest version. The alarm itself is basically identical to the 5901, so 2.6 should work fine. Try another Bitwritter or alarm module to confirm that one or the other is not bad.

Ok.  Sorry about that.  It actually says "In order to program this alarm, you need a bitwriter with version 2.7"  I guess they're coming out with v2.7 soon.  Anyway, it came with a Quick Reference guide (that huge page with the wire colors, but without the details for each wire).  That'll have to do.  And the back shows the steps to program with the remote.  I really prefer the bitwriter though.  So...I'll update when finished.

jmorales831 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
Finished everything up 2 nights ago.  Sorry about the late update.  Couldn't get online.  Anyway, I used the manual from the 5701 to have something to work off of.  Everything works great now.  Was nearly identical as the install manual from the 5701.  Still haven't found anything out about the bitwriter v2.7. 
bizill 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
question for 5902 owners.  with the remote, when it's sitting there not being used and in idle, does the screen stay illuminated?  with my 5901 the status of the alarm is displayed at ALL TIMES.  with the 5902, do you have to push a button because the remote may or may not go into a "sleep mode", or is there an LED on the remote that blinks or what?  thanks.
jmorales831 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Hey bizill...the 5902 remote does go into a "sleep mode."  The screen goes blank until a button is pressed or the menu wheel is moved.  It only stays on for about 3 seconds after a button is pressed.  There's an LED, but it only blinks when you send or recieve a command.  Also, has anybody heard anything about the bitwriter v2.7 upgrade? 
bizill 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2009 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
thanks jmorales.  i NO LONGER wish to purchase the upgraded remote to use with my 5901.  i love being able to just look at my remote and feel safe the alarm is armed and that i didn't forget.  i never using passive arming, so please don't suggest it.  LOL.
angelars 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
I almost switched from the 5902 - to the 5901 WITH the new SmartStart system, so that I could control the car through my iPod, but it has limited features (not sure why since it's software driven) and it has a costly subscription, so I opted NOT to get Viper SmartStart and stick with the 5902.
djdownfawl 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
I am interested in buying the 5902 but i have no clue on how to install it. I dont want to spend 800 dollars and go to a dealer. I am planning to but it off ebay and do it myself or let my mechanic do it.
Is there anybody who has a installation procedure and knows how long does it take?
Do i need the bitwitter.
I am lost so please guide me in the right direction.
Thank you
angelars 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Since the 5902 is NOT a mechanical device, I would NOT take it to a "mechanic" to install.
Find someone who is MECP certified to install it correctly.
Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic