icon

92 Accord lock via security system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MickBurke 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

I just picked up a 1992 Honda Accord, and found that in order to lock the doors using the 'lock/unlock' switch, you have to hold the open handle, open. It seems like a mechanical triger and my mechanic said it was supposed to help prevent accidental locking in of the keys.

My question is, how does this interface with a security system that is intended to lock the doors once I'm out? Meaning, if I'm not there to hold the lever out, how does the alarm system engage the lock mechenism?

Any info is much appreciated...

Mick

2k2AccordEX 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

When all the doors are closed, the car will lock and unlock via the alarm system with no problem.

Door Lock      -- BLACK/ White (Negative trigger)

Door Unlock   -- BLACK/ Red (Negative Trigger)

You don't have to go to the switch in the driver's door.  Your lock & unlock wires are located under the carpet below fuse 2-pin plug. (Driver's side)

Hope this helps.

If I have an idea, and you have an idea and we share ideas, then we each have two Ideas, together we have four.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, that's how almost all Hondas are made. They're afraid that people are so stupid they'll lock the keys in the car, so they want you to close the door and lock it with the key....but it seems you've already found the trick.
And like 2k2AccordEX says, as long as the door is already closed, it will lock normally. So after you've installed your alarm, you'll just have to be sure the door is closed before using your remote to lock them.
MickBurke 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Great info, thanks guys! I did test it (left the door closed and hit the button) and it worked as you said, so I should be set...

While we're on the subject, how bad an install is this? I found a shop that will install a system with remote lock, shock sensor, starter kill, LED and 6 tone siren for $250. I priced out the hardware alone at Crutchfield for about $180. I'm curious if it's worth the $70 for the install or if I should just do it myself?

I was also thinking about getting the window roll up module/relays. Any concern with those? I haven't had an alarm system in the last few cars I had (two Taurus wagons), and never had the window mods, so I'm not familiar with weather they have any problems or anything. The battery I got is the biggest they had (880 CCA)so I should be OK form that perspective...

Thanks again!

Mick

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Those Crimeguard alarms from Crutchfield don't appear to be anything special, and they're overpriced.
A basic car alarm with the features you describe should wholesale for somewhere around $50. Do some searching around on eBay or something...but here is just one example:   http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&item=2409158015&category=33721
On the other hand, if you're already ready to spend that $180 on product, search eBay for the Audiovox Prestige APS-996. It goes for around $150, and also has remote start, and a two-way remote.
And you said someone quoted you $250 installed...that sounds high to me, unless they're going to do a really good job. Most places will charge around $175-200 installed, but that's usually for a very basic installation---the job should be neat and reliable, but not highly theft-proof. For $250, you should expect the alarm and its wiring to be pretty well hidden.
Whether or not to install it yourself is up to you. I guess you have to calculate how much you make per hour at your job, versus how much you'd pay to have it installed......you could easily spend a whole day on an alarm if it's your first one......taking a day off work to save $70 would probably be silly....but if you can get the product for $50, that's another story. As for me, I always enjoy working on my own stuff, whether I save money or not.
On the good side, a '92 Accord is a very easy car to work on; it's a good one to start out with. (My first remote start install was on my mother's '90 Accord EX.) The only downside to Hondas is that there is no paneling to cover the underside of the dash, so it makes it a little harder to hide things.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
just like hondas famous 1998 honda civic with the alarm built into the radio and if you wanted to change the radio. you had two choices relocate the radio and keep it in the car somewhere or get another alarm and jump the domelight. boy those guys at honda made a goof and well good to say they pulled there heads out of you know where.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
re2gie99 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
I got the APS-996 on my 93 accord, and I installed it myself.  It was my first time installing an alarm let alone one with remote start and all that other stuff. Took me 6 hours, but it works flawlessly. The shops around where I live wanted to charge me 170-200 to put in the remote start, so I was like I'll handle it on my own. I got mine for $169 which isnt bad considering retail is $235. Good luck if you do it yourself, just have your Haynes manual handy.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic