icon

Eclipse DA7232 or JL 1000/1?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dohcser 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
I will be running (2) Eclipse 9122 subs. The Eclipse is rated at 1000 x 2 @2ohms and the JL is 1000 x 1.
I can get both amps for about the same price, however which one do you all fell is better and why?
I do like the regulated power supply, and crossover from JL.
Please help!!!!
IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

I would go wth JL, Eclipse amps historically just dont have the balls they claim to have.  Even the mono amps they produced in the past dont seem to really "push" speakers,  My vote is for JL

-Cy

drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
I am personally an Eclipse fanatic. I have the Eclipse 32440 and the 34230. I have previously owned 87 series subwoofers, and the 88Ti series. Eclipse products are on the money each and every time. Their products just as JLs products are pricy, but you pay for the work and quality they put into the product. If you already have the Eclipse subs, you might as well keep your system simple, as far as brands. I suggest that you go with the Eclipse, you wont be sorry.
I am also the owner of a car audio shop here in Panama City FL, if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at    drvnbysound@aol.com
dohcser 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you all very much for the quick responses. I am more concerned with buying two JL 1000/1 amp to do what 1 Eclipse 7232 amp will accomplish, however if the JL is much better then I will go with them.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

I am running those subs and they are some of the nicest out there. They are very expensive but will worth every penny. Now they are rated @ 750 RMS but they are power hungry I would not suggest giving each one less than 1000 watts rms. Now on my set up I am running (1) JL 1000/1 to each sub. I have had several amps connected to them and the JL sounded cleanest and put out the best sounding bass hands down. The Jl has a really nice Xover and you can’t go wrong with the power supply and its underrated power ratings. I am a big fan of Eclipse and have had a few of their amps but just don’t think their amps are as good as JL as far as amplifiers go.

dohcser 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
bberman1 wrote:

I am running those subs and they are some of the nicest out there. They are very expensive but will worth every penny. Now they are rated @ 750 RMS but they are power hungry I would not suggest giving each one less than 1000 watts rms. Now on my set up I am running (1) JL 1000/1 to each sub. I have had several amps connected to them and the JL sounded cleanest and put out the best sounding bass hands down. The Jl has a really nice Xover and you can’t go wrong with the power supply and its underrated power ratings. I am a big fan of Eclipse and have had a few of their amps but just don’t think their amps are as good as JL as far as amplifiers go.

Great now there is someone with the same setup that I am looking at. A few questions, do you think that the 9122 are worth the extra money compared to the 8122's? Also have to had an SPL reading of your system? You have 2 9122 with 2 JL 1000/1, on to each sub right?
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

Yes I have  (2)88120TI's  same thing as the 9122's  with (2) JL 1000/1's . And yes they are worth the extra money. I have used many different high end subs and these are  the first ones that I have truly been happy with. They put out the best mixture of SQ/SPL I have ever heard, but I have never gotten a SPL reading. I would defiantly go with the JL like IronCY said the Eclipse just doesn’t feal like it has that much power and it lacks in SQ Go with the JL 1000/1's and the 9122's defiantly worth the price tag

dohcser 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have an estimate as to what kind of SPL you might be hitting? Also what direction do you have the subs facing? What kind of car do you have? Did you upgrade your electrical?
Sorry for all the questions, but you are the closest person that I have "spoken" to that has a similar system to what I may have.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

Don’t have any Idea about the SPL the subs hit the hardest in my 02 Impala facing the rear of the trunk. As far as my charging system goes I have a 200 amp alternator and my lights don’t dim. If you want to contact me my email is bberman1@adelphia.net 

drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  
One reason the previous subwoofer amps didnt have as much power was because their design philosophy was more geared to strictly Sound Quality. Over the last several years they have done an excellent job of combining SQ/SPL with the Titanium subs as well as the D-class amps. Say what you wish about the JL amp. I like JL products as well, nicely constructed here in FL. But in my opinion Eclipse makes far better products. You can definitely get 2 of the 1000/1, but why buy 2 amps, when the single Eclipse amp can get the job done? As stated before, keep your system as simple as possible, and you wont have to do as much tuning.
I havent read much about the features of the Eclipse amp you are referring to, however I dont see why there wouldnt be a crossover built into it already. If it doesnt, that is very strange.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic