icon

wipers, relay or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ejenner 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2009 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  

Hmm, you're right... that does have me thinking now.

To answer your question.  The wires connecting to the motor are visible.  That's how I was able to by-pass the controls in the connector block in the first place.  Now that I have cut the motor wires and joined them directly to my new circuit there is no longer any power going in or out of the connector block.  Only the park switch is being used.

ejenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2009 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  

Looked at the park switch again.  When the intermittient realy is stopping the wipers after a timed wipe the wipers don't actually stop moving at the same time that the switch breaks the circuit.  The park switch is telling the relay they have reached the parked position and then the wipers continue to run and are just beginning to start the next wipe when the intermittient relay cuts the power. 

In other words, the intermittient relay is being stopped by a pulse from the park switch rather than the park switch either making or breaking the circuit. 

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2009 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
Park feed should be (an ignition) constant, there's no draw (or shouldn't be) on that wire once wipers have parked. There's an internal cam system just like the old auto aerials. What is the car and if UK, is it a Lucas motor?
ejenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2009 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
Nope, not a UK car.  1972 Saab 99.  The wiper system is being converted to the later Saab 900 setup.  In the end it might be better to see if I can somehow get the 900 wiper motor to fit in the place where the 99 motor is.  I don't know how interchangable they are.  I do know they're different though. 
ejenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2009 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

Alright, decided to remove the motor from the car and open it up so I could properly understand what was going on.

It is a LUCAS motor even though it's not a UK car... although that's not surprising as we did make things in this country and export them once upon a time...

The switch pulses from a gear with a lump on the back of it.  So it's not a CAM exactly.. but similar principal.

Here is the diagram of the connector.  There was no need for me to cut the wires... but I was trying to do this quickly... not always the best way...

wipers, relay or not? - Page 2 -- posted image.

The news is that the park switch has more than one state! 

So now we know the motor is able to indicate when it is parked AND when it isn't parked, does that help with sorting out a relay? 

I think ideally... a relay installed to control this would also only work once the wiper stalk is moved to the off position.

But maybe we're just going round in circles here and I should just go back to the opening question of whether or not I need a relay at all?  Perhaps I could get the parking function to be integral to the motor?  That might cause a problem with intermittient... but possibly a route worth considering.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 09, 2009 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
When parked, which park terminal is connected to the Park Constant terminal?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: October 09, 2009 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
What happens if you just turn the wipers on for .5 seconds and then turn them right off?  I would assume the complete cycle completes.  It seems, to me, that if you want itermittent wipers, you should just need to send a short pulse to either the slow speed or the fast speed and the motor itself would complete the cycle with no actual connection to the park switch.
Kevin Pierson
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Posted: October 09, 2009 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Figure out which connection is connected to the park constant when the motor is anywhere but parked.  Connect that terminal to the low speed wire along with the low speed signal wire and the intermittent wire.  Wipers off and the park switch will make them run until they park.

Connect power to the park constant wire.

Kevin, this motor came from a different vehicle.  The park wiring is what keeps the motor from stopping mid stride.  I was having trouble trying to get both speeds to park, then I realized that if you park only the low speed wire, all will be fine. 

ejenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2009 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  

It almost works. 

Problem is that the intermittient relay liked a negative trigger to make it operate.  If I have the intermittent relay plugged into the fuse box the wipers will run all the time even when the stalk is switched to 'off' - the power is comming from the 'park switch constant', through 'park on' where I have connected pin '53s' of the intermittent relay.  Before, when the intermittent relay was connected to 'park off' and that was a grounded pin (when the wipers were in the middle of a wipe) then that would signal to the relay to run the wipers until that ground signal stopped (i.e. until the wipers were parked)  Now with the park switch being live instead... I have a problem.

On the up side... if I didn't want to bother with the intermittient function then I could leave the relay unplugged and the wipers will now auto-park if the stalk is moved to 'off' mid-wipe... 

So the wipers are working now... but not if I want intermittent as well... and that was sort-of the purpose of the exercise!

ejenner 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

This is a diagram of the intermittent relay

wipers, relay or not? - Page 2 -- posted image.

As noted earlier, 53S is connected to 'Park On'

Other pins are as follows:

- 31: earth

- 15: power into stalk = also power into relay

- 53S: to 'park on' at the motor

- 53M: goes to stalk, is connected to 'normal speed' on wiper motor when stalk is either off or on postion 1

- I: Position 1 on stalk

- T: Connected to stalk - think it's connected to the 'dip' switch for spraying washer water and wiping - that has worked ok when the relay was working

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic