icon

best way to crimp 4 gauge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slow96z 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

I have a pair of crimpers that got dull so I ground off the blade and have just the crimping tooth left.  I open that wide and crimp down each "side" of the connector seperately.

cvsct698 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I normally solder, but before I started that, or if I'm in a real pinch, I use bolt cutters. I took the cutting edges to a bench grinder and turned them into home made large gauge crimpers. It's crude, but surprisingly effective. Cheaper than the "real" thing, too.
nfrank89 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2009 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
i use a C-clamp!
alp8040 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2010 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, recently I purchased some Xscorpion 4awg wire and some 4awg terminals as well.
I'm trying to figure out the best way to crimp these terminals. Doesn't look like the vise, flathead screwdriver or hammer method works well enough. I would think the crimping method of securing the wire all around the terminal would be best. Where would I find the cheapest 4AWG crimp tool to accomplish this?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2010 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
If you are going to use it regularly, the Harbor Freight tool works BEAUTIFULLY. Six-sided crimping dies, evenly crimps around the wire, and securely fastens it, without breaking strands.
Even using that tool, I will still solder and shrink-wrap (the kind with the hot-melting adhesive inside) the termination, ESPECIALLY for underhood applications. It will keep weather out, and the connection will last longer than the car.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
i just use regular wire crimpers and wrap the terminal in 3m electrical tape. a vice is nice if i have it available. of course, the best way is to crimp, solder and shrink wrap or tape it up. but sometimes you really need a specialized tool if the terminal isnt split down the middle, its almost impossible to crimp those by hand unless you have gorilla hands.
roadkilll 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased this tool: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Crimp-Tool-Non-Insulated-Terminals/dp/B0002KR9MU/ref=lh_ni_t_
It works very nicely. I use heat-shrink tubing as well but have been unable to find the adhesive-lined type (at a reasonable price).
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic