icon

alt whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djrankin004 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  

I borrowed the meter so dont have a clue if its broken. What should it do when i touch the leads and what setting should i have it too(AC, DC, OHM?) I'll give it a try, but it might take me another couple days or so, big weekend ahead. Thanks

djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

Just to verify i am touching the small wire from one unbridged speaker terminal on the amp to the shield of one of the RCA wires? or am i touching it too the shield of the rca input on the amp?

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

The RCA cables should be plugged into the amp to do this.  You will have to touch the wire to the outer part of the cable.  Motor running and noise coming through the system.  Then touch the wire to see if the noise goes away.

your meter should have been set to the Ohms selection.

boxhead78 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
get your rca wires from by your power wireand run them  on the other side of the car it should stop
boxead78
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
okay sorry about the delay. I disconnected the speakers and rca wires. Replaced the two 30 amp fuses with a single 5 amp fuse, powered on the amp, and the fuse did not blow. So i reconnected the rca's and the speaker wires as you told me. And placed a small piece of wire  into one of the non bridged speaker terminals. I turned on the car, turned volume all the way down, with whine coming out of speakers. I touched the small wire to the rca shield as instructed but nothing happened. No pop, no sound at all actually. And the whine still persists. The model on the amp appears to be the Power Akoustic FI2X-520 although i  cant find any info on this amp. Its a two channel 500 watt. What now?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
My guess is bad ground or defective amp.  HERE's how to check your ground...
Support the12volt.com
djrankin004 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
The amp has been used prior to this for subs. It is wired up with a 2 ohm load to each channel and i am using the crossovers that came with the components. I'll double check the amp ground though with the test you provided. Any chance of fixing this defective amp if that be the case?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic