icon

My First Sports Car Project, 2001 Camaro

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scotts4050 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2009 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all, just wanted to show the world my little project here.  I took lots of pictures and it would be a shame to keep them all to myself. 

I haven't seen any of this generation Camaro on this site.  Maybe it will give some other people some ideas for theirs.  Anyway, I bought this Camaro a few

months ago.  It had the stock Monsoon stereo in it, which sounded ok, but nowhere near what I like.  It also had quite a bit of road noise, so I decided to mat it.

This is the first vehicle I have ever matted, boy was it a pain, but well worth it.  I would like to send my thanks out to my long time friend Joseph.  He put lots of

hours into this with me, and I wouldn't be anywhere near done if it wasn't for him - Thanks Man!  My thanks also go out to the12volt.com.  I made use of the calculators

and diagrams and the forum.  The amount of info on this site is priceless.  Awesome web site guys!

So here we go:

Before matting:        (Notice new speaker in the rear seat panel - Fosgate 6.5 inch 3 ways.  These are also in the doors.)

My First Sports Car Project, 2001 Camaro - Last Post -- posted image.

What a mess:

Comin' along....    New Lanzar DVD player installed.  Not sure if I like it yet, though.

Entire trunk matted, also back of license plate.

This is a picture of the temporary box that I had in there.  It pounded really hard, but i didn't like the fact that I lost the whole tunk well.  So I opted for a new box up on the deck, instead.

New box in the making.  I have used this 'egg carton' foam before and thought it worked pretty well for insulation, so I am trying it again.  Notice the hole in the bottom of the box (there is one on each side.)  These will be used to bolt the box down in the car, utilizing the old cargo hook mounting holes.  Makes for a pretty solid mount.

Just carpeded.

Took a week to build, but finally it is in.

Still have the entire trunk well for cargo/storage space.

Finished product after wire looming, and painted the grill red to match the car.  This grill is actually for a solobaric square, but I thought this one would provide better protection for the woofer (the grill for the round woofers are wide open in the middle.)

Just washed.  This will last about 90 seconds, since I live in the desert and on a dirt road.

Equipment pictured:

Sub - Kicker CVR 12" dual 4 ohm;                     Sub Amp - Kicker 300.1 monoblock (build sheet says 362 watts total output.);       

Mid/tweet Amp - Alpine 4 channel 50 x 4;         Boss Audio 3.5 farad digital cap

Not pictured or barely seen equipment:

Lanzar in dash DVD player w/5.3" monitor, USB, ipod, bluetooth.    I'm not sure if I like this deck, may go with an Alpine or Kenwood later on.

Rockford 6.5" 3-way P1 speakers that I put in the doors and rear seat panels to replace the factory speakers (4 total.)

Pioneer 5.25" three way speakers in the rear deck (cargo area.) These are running of the deck with 800hz bass blockers on them.

Removed old (crappy) Code Alarm system and installed an Autopage rs-730 with remote start.  Also added power door locks and power trunk latch, all controlled by the alarm.

So there is my first sports car, I've always been a truck person, but I think I'm going to like this car.   Let me know what you guys think.  Take care!

pcana11 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2009 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
thats a nice looking box. how does it sound?
scotts4050 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2009 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

The box sounds really good.  It is not as loud as the old temporary box that I had in the trunk well,

but it seems to be quite a bit more accurate and less boomy.  I am not sure how well it can hit high notes

because the Kicker amp is crossed over at 200Hz (non adjustable.) I think I want to get a different amp

and set the crossover at about 300-350Hz.

pcana11 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2009 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
sounds good, im a fan of the cvr's too. i had three on 1800 watts and it drilled. sealed though, switchin to a jl w6. building a box. hows the foam work? whats the purpose?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic