icon

box building programs, driver parameters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
akickz 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2009 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
title says it all.. looking to build some custom ported boxes so i wanted to know what box building program everyone is using. and where can i get driver parameters for winISD
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
akickz wrote:
title says it all.. looking to build some custom ported boxes so i wanted to know what box building program everyone is using. and where can i get driver parameters for winISD
I use BassBox 6 for designing enclosures and model them up in SolidWorks.
You get the driver parameters from the sub manufacturer. They are typically in the manual for the sub or available on the website. You will typically not get all of the parameters. Some parameters such as inductance are rarely given by the manufacturer. This isn't always bad as you can still make a design without some of these specs.
Some manufacturers (especially lower-end brands) will rarely give you any parameters. So it can be hard to model lower end subs.
If you can't find the parameters then simply contact the sub manufacturer. If you e-mail them or contact them they will usually give you the info you need.
akickz 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
thanks . but im also trying to understand the terms of box building. like i hear people talk about " cubes " im not sure what that is refering to. Also how do I port the box to a certain hertz ?
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
akickz wrote:
thanks . but im also trying to understand the terms of box building. like i hear people talk about " cubes " im not sure what that is refering to. Also how do I port the box to a certain hertz ?
"Cubes" is referring to the internal volume of an enclosure measured in cubic feet. The internal volume of your enclosure is going to determine how your sub is going to sound.
The tuning frequency of an enclosure is determined from a few different factors. They include the 1) internal volume of the enclosure (not including port, sub, or bracing displacement 2) the length of the port (measured down the center) and 3) the cross sectional area of the port.
You are going to find out the tuning frequency and internal volume you need using WinISD for the particular sub you are using.
There is a sticky on this site about using WinISD. You should check it out for some more info.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic