icon

crimper tool, spade connectors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
riggz 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2009 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to find the correct crimper tool that is used with these types of connectors: crimper tool, spade connectors -- posted image.  I'm not looking for anything super expensive, but I don't know if a standard automotive crimper is what I need or not.

Also what is the technical name for the female spade connectors that have the tab on the back of them? I'm using them to snap in to a standard automotive 12v relay harness adapter.

Thanks!

-=riggz
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

I've got a few crimpers for those - the only ones I have ever used that work were expensive.  My "cheap" crimpers were ~$220 and my expensive crimper was >$1000.

Molex makes a "universal" crimp tool that may work, but they are tedius to use.  You have to crimp the insulation with one slot and then the actual wire with another slot (so every connector needs two crimps).  If you are only doing a few, that may work, but I believe that tool was still around $60.

I tried to find cheap crimpers for automotive connectors and always ended up just wasting money.  Your best bet is to find out the info on the crimp you are using and buy the right tool for that crimp.

If you want "cheap", you may want to consider using needle nose pliers.  They will get the job done if you are careful and have some patience.

Kevin Pierson
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
my "cheap" crimpers also cost more than i would ever be willing to pay if i was just doing a one time, small DIY project. affordable ones that somebody would buy for that type of situation dont work any better than some extra time and a pair of needle nose pliers like Kevin mentioned.
riggz 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2009 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

I'm currently only doing a small project for now, but if it turned out well, I'd like to be able to continue making the projects for a small profit if it didn't take me too long. I guess I'll just see how it turns out using my old basic crimpers and pliers.

How about the female spade connectors with the tabs? I'm having a bit of trouble trying to locate them on Mouser.com

-=riggz
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

try here http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll, look at quick connect terminals (female and male) or, CARQUEST part #STP182(25), TA182(3), and STP183(25), TA183(4).

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Shame, I used to have 1000s of the damn things, we have a lot more hatches in Europe and we used to mount the speakers in the removeable rear shelf, hence 4 way plugs and sockets.  It's a .25 = 1/4" = c.6mm quick connect terminal.  The connector shown is a Molex.  N.B. I echo the others ref the cost of crimping tools cheap = rubbish.
dadtruck 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

the terminal that you show in the photo is refered to as an "open barrel" terminal, distinguishes it from a closed barrel terminal, I only know this as I have been heavy into a quest for some specific open barrel terminals

I found a ratcheting crimp tool from Tool King made by Eclipse, the tool is really well made, does both the insulation and wire crimp in the same setting. Die sets can be purchased for various wire sizes.

http://www.toolking.com/eclipse_300-009.aspx

this page at Molex has a ton of good info on crimping.

http://www.molex.com/molex/common/staticLoader.jsp?fileName=/tnotes/crimp.html&channel=Tech+Library&chanName=&channelId=-30&programId=159&progLink=Good+Crimps&chanLink=&pageTitle=Good+Crimps

DadTruck
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
dadtruck wrote:

the terminal that you show in the photo is refered to as an "open barrel" terminal, distinguishes it from a closed barrel terminal, I only know this as I have been heavy into a quest for some specific open barrel terminals

the "other" terminal he is asking about though, is not the one in the picture.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic