icon

kicker solo x 12 what to do with it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
akickz 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
I came up on a kicker solo x 12 for 300 bucks in a enclosure, it's about 3.5 cubic ft measures 34x16x16.
Right now I have a 2000 watt hifonics Brutus running at 1 ohm. I was wondering what more could I do to make it louder. I was thinking 2600 watt Brutus and a larger enclosure but what hertz to tune it to?
My trunk measures 34 in wide, 13 in tall , 35 in deep. Im thinkin I can build a pretty large box.
I was also wondering could I possible run two solo x 12's?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

if you want a real amp with real power then stay away from the newer brutus amps.  do you just want loud or do you actually want it to play music?  if you intend on listening to it and not burping it at a comp then i woudn't tune much higher than 40-45hz . personally i would go closer to 40 than 45.

if you build a big box then keep in mind that it still has to fit through the trunk opening so dont just go off and build the biggest box you can. and speaking of which, what is your car?

akickz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
I actually want to play my music. It's not for burping at any competitions but I would like it loud. I've heard people tuning their boxes to 20-35 hz is this too low for everyday play? I like low deep bass but want some high notes to hit as well. And those measurements aren't my full trunk I made adjustments for the boxing fitting in and out the trunk. My car is a 1995 Buick regal gs coupe. Is a 5 cubic ft box or a 6 cubic ft box big enough? Could I possibly run two solo x subs? Also what should my port width and height be
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Go to Kicker's website. They have an online manual for all their subs. This includes Their recommended enclosure size and tuning.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
"What to do with it?" Plug it into the wall! It'll sound GREAT - just like a Kicker Solo does - for about 5 seconds! Then it'll sound even BETTER! kicker solo x 12 what to do with it? -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
"What to do with it?" Plug it into the wall! It'll sound GREAT - just like a Kicker Solo does - for about 5 seconds! Then it'll sound even BETTER! kicker solo x 12 what to do with it? -- posted image.
Awww Kicker Aint that bad.. lol
Reminds me of a time when i was about 12 years old.. Before i understood the concept of a powered subwoofer. lol. I had 2 15's connected to my house stereo... and a empty socket.... put 1 and 1 together...lol
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

akickz wrote:
I actually want to play my music. It's not for burping at any competitions but I would like it loud. I've heard people tuning their boxes to 20-35 hz is this too low for everyday play? I like low deep bass but want some high notes to hit as well. And those measurements aren't my full trunk I made adjustments for the boxing fitting in and out the trunk. My car is a 1995 Buick regal gs coupe. Is a 5 cubic ft box or a 6 cubic ft box big enough? Could I possibly run two solo x subs? Also what should my port width and height be

if you want it to sound "good", as if a solo x could ever sound good, i would tune it to the low 30's and give it a pretty big box, maybe around 4ft^3 for one 12.  the problem with that is that you will sacrifice loudness if you tune it low. if you tune it high it will be loud but it will sound like doodie on normal music. solo x subs are really spl only speakers and its hard to make it sound good.

you could run 2 of them but how do you plan to power them? you cant just hook up a 4000w rms amp to your stock battery and alternator and expect the car to just take it like its nothing. i would stay with the 1 sub unless you want to upgrade your entire changing system and spend a ton of money on amps.

p.s. my manager says you should start a fire, park your car in it, throw in your sub and amp, walk away, and try again. but he really hates solo x subs and hifonics amps. the car is just a bonus.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
the car is just a bonus.
That was a little harsh... kicker solo x 12 what to do with it? -- posted image. Bag the Kicker all you want, but never bash a man's ride! kicker solo x 12 what to do with it? -- posted image. He might not like yours, either!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
akickz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info.
I'm willing to spend money on my charging system. I already have two yellow top optimas that are not installed but I know I will need a bigger alternator.
And I have noticed that the solo x is really just a spl speaker, it hits low bass notes not so much mid and high bass and that's what I was worried about. So I was kinda wondering should I steer in another direction For a nice setup that's sounds good but also has lots if spl
But on another note...I'm not too worried about your managers remarks. The regal is just my get around car I do drive a Chrysler 300 . So he can keep his thoughts to himself.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

akickz wrote:
Thanks for the info.
But on another note...I'm not too worried about your managers remarks. The regal is just my get around car I do drive a Chrysler 300 . So he can keep his thoughts to himself.

im, sorry. i was peer preassured into it.  i really dont hate your car.

you can stay with the solo x if you want, its not that it wont hit high notes, its just that it probably wont sound too good doing it.  but if it were me i would go for something that doesn't call for so much power for just a single 12.  you dont need a ton of power to have a good everyday system.  i would try and sell it and go for a pair of 12's instead.  you could do one 15 but you would need to face it up towards the trunk lid.  if you want to stay with kicker then i would go for the CVX 12's or maybe check out subs from RE, memphis, Fi, diamond, etc.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic