2001 hyundai accent, alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxdaccent 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys am a newbie to this site so bare with us

ok ive got a 2001 hyundai accent which am currently running a 1000WATT RMS amp to my subs which both are 500WATT RMS plus im running a 4 channel amp which is 100WATT RMS PER channel so thats 400WATT RMS total so what im my car currently has a 90 amp alternator with a split charge system to run 2 dry cell batteries plus a 2.4 farad capacitor but when the cars running the voltage on the capacitor and the reading on one of the amps starts at 14volts but then goes down until about 11volts.  So the question is do you think it would be best to upgrade the alternator to a high output one say likea 200amp one? and if so what fuse would i need to run from the positive battery termianl to the alternator as at the mo its a 100amp fuse for a 90 amp alternator.

thanks

boxhead78 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2009 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
no you don't have to but, you have to let your cap discharge first.then you recharge your cap before you hook your amp to it
boxead78
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
boxhead78 wrote:
no you don't have to but, you have to let your cap discharge first.then you recharge your cap before you hook your amp to it
That made No sense. To answer your question, Yes. If your voltage is droppin below 12 volts, you do need to upgrade the alt. I wouldn't say you need something as big as a 200 amp... but something bigger than your 90 amp would help you a lot. Your extra batteries only help when your cars off and your cap only puts more strain on your alternator.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  
So the big 3 first...  then go from there...! Although the upgrade of the alternator is probably eminent....! You said bare with US... How many personalities do you have(schizophrenic)...? What size power wire do you have...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
Not sure what happened there......^ Its going down to 11v when playing at full listening volume and during long bass notes...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2009 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
With tommy on this one, uprgrade big three cables, use at least two gauge cables, eliminate the cap, a 200 amp alternator would be great, all in all you have a load that would be almost equal to the capacity of the alternator!
maxdaccent 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the replies guys,  The power cable i have to answer one of those questions is 4AWG,  ok i think i will have to do that as i must admit it seems to be a very good thing to do, but as ive asked too if i do get a bigger alternator say a 200 amp one what fuse would i use for it because at the moment its a 90 amp alternator with a 100amp fuse so would i have to get something like say a 210 amp fuse for a 200 amp alt ?  let us know. 
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

The alternator you have currently is 90amps, let's say your car's total draw at idle with all accesories powered add up to eighty amps, which leaves you an average of ten amps to play with, your system draw is a total of 1400 watts, which is equal to about 115 amps or so give or take, in total, hypothetically speaking you would have a draw of around 195 amps at peak, a 200amp alternator would be great, a 200amp fuse would be just fine also.

Those figures are just on an average basis, they may actually vary, just trying to help you see it logically!

maxdaccent 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

to t&t tech

thanks very much for the infomation i will try and see if im able to get a 200 amp alternator or a little bigger say 215 amp and the fuse should be of the same value or slightly higher? 

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

200 amp will be fine! You can use a slightly bigger fuse!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic