icon

Power supply for a shop demo?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
underground 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2003 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Any good ideas on how to power up a demo in my shop? I have heard different ways but want to get some help from other installers/owners. I am open for all ideas. I want to power a little of everything, subs, amps, decks,speakers and some lighting options. Thanks in advance.
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
Use a computer power supply, that's what I used to do in my dorm room Power supply for a shop demo? -- posted image.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Astron RS-50A and higher power supplies work fine: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml 
Power supply for a shop demo? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
CorradoG60 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

the12volt wrote:
Astron RS-50A and higher power supplies work fine: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml 

I second the Astron power supplies. I have and use the VS-50M, and I sure wished they had the VS-70M when I bought the VS-50M.

I have used mine for repairing stuff and served dutyfor a 800 Watt HF amplifier, which would present a constant 45A draw, and would handle a 52A draw ICS. Above what they spec'ed. Yet much further and the Crowbar protection would kick in.

The FLUKE Guy.
Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2003 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
Glad to see this,i was wondering also ...how much amperage would someone need to power a system that includes a 2 amp with a subwoofer ?,i kinda have my eye on a 50A one,is that to much ?,or is it enough ?
Thank you
Dan
PS how about ...Pyramid PS-52 KX (52 A) has meters for amp/volt and it's rack mountable...we all know Pyramid makes crap but would this power supply be ok ?Power supply for a shop demo? -- posted image.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
Astrons are tough. We use the Astrons to power effects lights for theatrical events. Never had a problem. They have been dropped, shaken, and drenched with water (trying not to remember many of those nights)and after 10 years they don't look so hot but wouldn't replace them with anything else! Clean and stable. Can find great deals on them on E-bay.
CorradoG60 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2003 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

If you need abig Power supply, and I mean big. Tucker electronics has anything you need from a Couple amp power supplies to several hundered amp power supply.

The FLUKE Guy.
Toy816 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

i have used power supplys in the past and all of them shut down or go into protection so i developed a bullet proof system - a heavy duty 12v charger and an 8 cell diesel battery. i don't run small amps i run3 amps per system usually drawing about 100 - 140 amps 9 hours a day 365 days a year. i add water about every 3 months usually getting 2 years out of a battery. total cost $120 per system. i play my systems at high volumes all day. i just cant bring myself to spend 3000 on a switching unit with a power supply when 5o% of the time it breaks down or needs to be upgraded.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I just ordered a 35amp Pyramid supply, unfortunately minutes before I found the12volt.  I hope to power 2 cheapish Crunch amps with 15amp fuses.  I have the distribution block from my old car, however I do have one question regarding the installation. 

This is probably a really noobish question, but please forgive me:  Do I connect the ground connects from the amplifiers directly to the negative terminal on the power supply? 

Any other tips or words of caution would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

kfr

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2003 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

bump.      One specific question:  Should I be concerned at all about running the subwoofer out on my home receiver into the rca ins on my car amp?

Thanks,

kfr

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic