2008 chevy silverado remote start hookup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
I have scoured the forums for information and found so many different people's opionins on how to get around the bypass for a newer chevy vehicle such as the Silverado. I am going to hookup a simple remote start to this vehicle. It already has power door locks. From my research, i plan to use the iDataLink ADS-TBSL-GM bypass kit to take care of controling the locks, ect.
According to the wiring info at the following site, it states the vehicle has 2 starter wires.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~103728
I have gotten the impression from other posts on this site that the starter wire does not need to be hooked up to the remote starter. Is this correct? I certainly don't want to screw up my truck and fry something.
I'm not interested in adding resistors & relays...I just want a simple wire installation. Any light on this would be appreciated.
Thank you.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
depending on the remote start brand you are using, i use audiovox product and their timing of acc and ign circuits work perfectly allowing me to not need to use relays and resistors on the white wire, but ive heard some remote starts dont have proper timing and require the white wire hooked into, new vehicles are not as simple as old days for non experienced installers
sparkyssb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks but I'm talking about the starter wires which the wiring diagram that is posted state are yellow/black and pink/black. The white one is the tach.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

Follow the Idata instructions to a tee. Use manual 1262, type 2(you are using a ADS RNG GM?). As it states in the directions, you will be connecting the ignition(pink) and accessory(Yellow or brown) only. You do not need to connect ANY starter wire anywhere on this truck. Get 12 volts from a fat RED / white on the fusebox, not the igntion switch(it's only 2 amps).

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
sparkyssb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thank for the info Mike. I wasn't planning on using the ring. Do I have to?
jim hunter 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
the ring is what does the pk3 circle plus transponder interface,no starter wire is used in this truck, if you are using audiovox remote start(which we do) or any other brand that fires acc and ign wires in the proper sequence all you need to do is program a spare circle plus key , place it in a coffin(astcbm,556u) bypass, and tag ign, acc, power, ground, pk lites(lt blue negative@switch) brake wire and use one of the uncommon injector wires for tach
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
use fortin piece can- sl2 it will do everything without losing a key
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

You don't have to use a RNG but it will have a larger current draw. Use type 3 wiring instead of 2 and it will work. Don't leave the truck sit for more than a few days and the draw won't be an issue. Let it sit any longer and you will be using jumper cables...

Jim, you don't need to go under the hood for tach. Look on the back of the junction block to the left of the brake pedal, it GREEN / WHITE on the back, center plug...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
jim hunter 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
wasnt referring to losing a key metz, circle plus keys are available for 10 bucks thru howard keys and can be programmed without being cut, thansk for the info mike, is that same wire there on all motor options? i always hook up tach on these vehicles as ive had some start/stall/recrank when going tachless(even lowering voltage threshold thru programming) but hell anytime i dont have to go under the hood makes my life even easoer(like old body silverados/tahoes just getting white at cluster harness)
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
my bad... thought he was losing a key.... but midas well spend the extra 10$ on the bypass then akey
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic