icon

dual jl w3v3 and alpine 1000 amp issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geriatricw3v2 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
Clipping (or sounds of farting through sub box in certain songs, or tones) is occuring, and even after having a alpine mrp 1000 amp, a jl w3v3 dual subs from a very well know distributor of high end audio, and a alpine 9886 head unit, all are under one month. old. Previously had a dual jl w1 and 500 watt system. I have called the dealer of the jl box, and the amplifier distributor, and each plot me against the other blaming issues. I need an intelligent person, or technician  that can be honest about how to do something. I am alot older than most that would listen, much less own high end audio, but shortly after getting the alpine 1000 amp, I noticed that clipping occurs and sounds very damaging, but the OHM load is still between 1.8 and 2.0 on subs. I have four gage wires installed on the system. But, I have not done the big three upgrade, and I know a CAP will not make a difference. my alternator is ONLY putting out 80 amps (wimpy) and there is no after market alternator that will work on a 1999 nissan sentra, 1.6, gxe. I need to know when using a bass mekanik CD, playing one or two songs, the why and how to solve the clipping on brand new gear.One says amp is starving, the other says  subs are blown, and have been tested to show they are not (even though I cant see the former, or spider) blown. Is there a remedy, to deliver to dealer of sub box with two jl's, that will have them think that I have a legitimate gripe? or does anyone here have, or had a relative problem such as this? anyone with any input is highly encouraged. thank you for your valuable time reading this lengthly message post.
geriatricw3v2 
Member spacespace
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Amp Could want a little more current. Subs are not blown, if they're blown, then um.... wouldn't work.. cus they're blown... did you properly set the gain on the amp??
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
geriatricw3v2 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
gains were at half speed, and boost was at full, and bass cutoff HZ was at 75, but at some point, clipping. IS this an amp issue? or just starving amp hungry to be fed? clips only for a short burp (fart sound), then i reduce sub level on head, or lower bass on HEAD.
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2009 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
A common source of clipping is having the gain on the amp turned up too high. My recommendation would be to turn the boost on the amp down and set the gain using a multi meter
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
boxhead78 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
check your setting and your rca wires your problem will be in that area
boxead78
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
To me it sounds like your settings are not properly set.......If I was you I would find a stereo shop with an oscilliscope and have everything in the signal chain level matched perfectly. I would also have everything properly tuned..SW settings,bass boost, x-over point and slope ,etc.....The big 3 upgrade would not hurt either.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

boogeyman wrote:
To me it sounds like your settings are not properly set.......If I was you I would find a stereo shop with an oscilliscope and have everything in the signal chain level matched

What? This guy is either starving his amp, or the crossover/gain/bass boost, are not correct. If he were to try and do this, he will be on the road for a LONG time looking for said stereo shop.

The oscilliscope is not a common install/diagnosis tool found at many shops. If you know one, it's one of the few!

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
   KarTuneMan you stated "This guy is either starving his amp"  That is why I said " The big 3 upgrade would not hurt either"  You said "or the crossover/gain/bass boost, are not correct." ....That is the same thing I stated .I said "I would also have everything properly tuned..SW settings,bass boost, x-over point and slope, etc."        You can get a HAND HELD oscilliscope for around $400 dollars new. Some even half of that.  A hand held o-scope is more common than what you might think , But I agree not common enough........To the OP....I dont know where you live in MD. But I do know Chris Fiorino-Auto Sound Innovations in Eldersburg has an O-scope.......You can also try Car Worx in Pasedena 
geriatricw3v2 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
News flash! best buy is exchanging my amplifier for a new one.The other store is replacing both w3's with new drivers within 5 days.Looks like i have a do over again. Now, I need to assure the integrity of the sub system and keep amp and subs in working order.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic