odd shape bad for ported?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ahowsare 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
scroll for short version.
So i started out a year ago or so messing with the thought throwing a system in my 06 ram quad-cab. i searched the web looking at prefab stuff and none of it had the volume i was after. i started looking to fb and after a few quotes decided id try... well, i spent hours going over measurements and comparing them with subs and what kinda volume i thought i could get. Ended up buying a 13w6 and set out to making a box. Got as far as laying a mold of the floor, life got hectic and i sold the sub...
So here i am wanting to finish this beast now but ive been worried about the odd shape messing up airflow since it will be ported... the rams rear is a 60/40 split which makes the box similar to 2 big boxes connected by a smaller box. in order to get port and sub clearance the sub would have to be on one side (one big box) and the port would need to be on the other (second box). im worried that the air being choked down between the two would mess up the standing waves or add port noise (lil above my knowledge base)...
you can get an idea from this thread
http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=7829
my box spans the entire underseat area though instead of just a single side.
originally i figured i could net around 2.5ft with a 13w6 and 2 3" ports. this time im going for a more modest 2.25 with a smaller sub and one 4" port for less displacement. i also wont have to shim the rear seats going this route. but before i go through the hassle of working out the port and putting the top on i wanted some advice. i could cut it and use the passenger side for a sealed box but i prefer ported...
short version
fg ported under seat box
oddly shaped, almost 2 boxes connected via a smaller box between
sub on one side (one big box) port on the other (2nd big box). really the only option i found to stick to the rules of sub/port clearances.
worried about the air flow inside the box due to it being choked down in the middle of the box.
thanks for the help!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
As long as the inside area connecting your two chambers is larger than the port diameter, you should not have any significant issues.
Support the12volt.com
ahowsare 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2009 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
thats good to hear, ive done a ton of searching around the net and various forums and couldnt come up with anything.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic