icon

components in front, stock in back?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ripper3785 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Been googling a bunch today but not exactly finding the answers I'm looking for.
Have had a nice-ish Kenwood Headunit, along with some 100 watt 4 ohm JL audio components(mids & tweeters) with crossovers in the doors of my 2001 Toyota Tacoma Xcab for years, stock speakers in the back. Have been powering everything off the 50 watt x 4 headunit. As you can imagine, the sound is not as full as it should be. Was given a 200 watt 4 ch amp years ago also that I have not installed. Can I use this amp to power only the higher wattage front speakers(and keep the stock speakers in the back, using the fader to balance as best as possible) Will this end up sounding crappy? (clipping, etc.) Too lazy to take the panels off and change the rear speakers.(also imagine I'd need a more powerful amp)
Back of the amp says these are the possible setups:
20 watts RMS/CH x 4 into 4 ohms
40 watts RMS/CH x 4 into 2 ohms
80 watts RMS Bridged x 2 into 4 ohms
200 watts Dynamic Power Bridged x 2 into 4 ohms
If I want to bridge it, I can do that while still only using the front input RCA's, right?
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
  I would run the amp at 2 channels to the front components.................Run the rear stock speakers off the head unit.
ripper3785 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
I assume there's no reason to run the 80 watts Bridged x 2 instead of the 200 watts Dynamic Power Bridged x 2, right?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

ripper3785 wrote:
I assume there's no reason to run the 80 watts Bridged x 2 instead of the 200 watts Dynamic Power Bridged x 2, right?

Huh?  According to the specs you posted, it's the same rating...  "Dynamic Power" is marketing hype.

Support the12volt.com
ripper3785 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
[/QUO

Huh?  According to the specs you posted, it's the same rating...  "Dynamic Power" is marketing hype.

[/QUOTE]
Well I figured it was, but had an inkling that the amp would be wired differently in 'dynamic power' marketing hype setup. I'll check out the amp later and verify. Thanks for the help.
ripper3785 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Probably a stupid question, but if I bridge the amp into 2 channels and run front left and front right off of the two channels, does this turn my front setup into mono because I bridged the amp?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic