icon

power hungry subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rperdue61 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

I have two Kicker L7 15" wired to 2ohms to kicker  ZX2500.1 amp. I plan on doing the big 3 just dont have the cash right now.

What I am asking is if I rewired the subs to a 4ohm load will that help my charging system until I get the big 3 done?

Is that the silly putty I bought you this weekend?
rperdue61 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

My lights dont dim, never had to jump start my car it just that my secondary battery (brand new) SP1700 discharges really quickly to about 11.3 volts from 12.5 volts in about 10 minutes of moderatly played music.

whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Why do you have a second battery? Do you listen to your music with the car off often?
If you have your subs wired to a 2 ohm load now then it means you have the 2 ohm version of that sub. If this is true you cannot wire them to a 4 ohm load (at least not properly). You could possibly wire them to a 8 ohm load. If you do wire them to a 8 ohm load then it would be easier on your charging system.
rperdue61 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
For more info I am running a HO alternator with a stinger isolater
is it possible to run a secondary with out a isolater?
rperdue61 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
I do listen to music with the car off pretty often but if it cause problems what's the point right
when the car is running shouldn't the main battery supply power to the amp when the secondary battery voltage drops below operating voltage for the amp, or is the isolater that I am running preventing that?
armymp90099 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
the battery isolator will prevent the amp from pulling current from the main battery. the secondary battery is only for playing music with the car off. if you wire your subs to a higher ohm rating the amp will pull less current and keep your secondary battery running longer and also be easier on your charging system.
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
rperdue61 wrote:
I do listen to music with the car off pretty often but if it cause problems what's the point right
when the car is running shouldn't the main battery supply power to the amp when the secondary battery voltage drops below operating voltage for the amp, or is the isolater that I am running preventing that?
The alternator is going to be the source of electrical power when the car is running. The alternator is going to be what keeps the batteries charged. So if you have two batteries instead of one your alternator will have another device to keep charged. When both batteries are fully charged this is a fairly small amount so it poses no problem. However, when the batteries get drained your alternator will not be able to keep up.
Running two batteries is not bad if you have a large enough alternator to keep them charged. If you a running a stock alternator you will likely not have enough power to keep it fully charged.
IMO, it is probably causing more problems then it is helping.
rperdue61 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input
it gives some point of a direction
m50sniper 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2009 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure your second battery is getting charged. HO alternators would do you best but like whiterob said, two batteries on a stock alternator isn't all too good. You actually might strain your alternator and damage it. Make sure the alternator has a direct flow to the 2nd battery.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic