icon

mr sealed box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spike131113 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have two 12" pioneer premier ts-3001d4 running off of a 1200watt rms hifonics amp. I had them in a ported box and loved it, they are very very loud and liked the setup. i was told that ported boxes were for more cabin pressure and to be louder inside the vehicle while sealed boxes would hit more notes more clearly but also make it a lot louder outside the vehicle. < fact or fiction.....i didnt touch the settings, i built a sealed box and put the subs in and i felt it was terribly weak, i dont know what i should do for settings cause it seems nothing helps.mr sealed box -- posted image.
Brandon Pieniozek
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
If you liked the ported enclosure why did you change to a sealed?
Ported enclosure are typically going to give you more output over a sealed enclosure. How "clear" the notes sound depends more on what specs the enclosure is built to then the type of enclosure. You can have perfectly "clear" sound with a ported enclosure and you can have very "muddy" sound with a sealed enclosure.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Two things COULD be happening here...
1: Those woofers are not a sealed box woofer, meaning they won't ever perform as well in a sealed box as a vented box, and if this is the case, you messed up by trying this alignment. This is most likely the correct choice/answer.
2: You built the box wrong. It happens. Where did you get the specs for the sealed enclosure? Sealed boxes won't be as loud as a vented enclosure, (almost) never. Sealed boxes will (to me, anyway) sound "faster"; their transient response and group delay is better, but this can also change, depending on the woofer/box combination. As I said, if the woofer isn't designed for or have the correct parameters for a sealed enclosure, you won't be able to make it sound good.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
spike131113 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
On pioneers site it says the recommended size is 0.5~1.0 cubic feet, seeing i wanted to hit lows a little better i heard making it a little bigger couldnt hurt, i also sound proofed it. I came up with the design myself, it was my first box and honestly i think its flawless, but apparantly something isnt working out.
Brandon Pieniozek
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2009 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
spike131113 wrote:
On pioneers site it says the recommended size is 0.5~1.0 cubic feet, seeing i wanted to hit lows a little better i heard making it a little bigger couldnt hurt, i also sound proofed it. I came up with the design myself, it was my first box and honestly i think its flawless, but apparantly something isnt working out.
Again, it could be the fact that it is a sealed enclosure compared to a ported enclosure. Depending on the specs of each enclosure and the sub used you could have a major difference in output from that alone.
Having a larger sealed enclosure will slightly extend your low-end but you will lose some output as well. The power handling of your subs will also go down in a larger sealed enclosure. You could try decreasing the volume of the enclosure until it is in the recommended enclosure size. You could simply put a dense material in the enclosure to decrease the internal volume. It would work well enough to see if it helps at all.
When you say sound proof material do you mean something that is going to absorb the sound energy like foam or something? If it is something that will absorb sound energy your output is going to be greatly decreased. If it is simply something that is going to help dampen the enclosure then it wouldn't hurt.
Did you change anything else in your system? If you did something like switch the polarity of the subs you could have some cancellation. Just thinking of other ideas that could potentially lead to less output.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
doesn't matter if the subwoofer is designed for ported enclosures only.
Manufacturers will still state that they will work in sealed enclosures so more people will buy the product
Custom Enclosure Design
spike131113 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Would it work if i cut a 1.3X1.3 inch hole in each side to tune the box to 40hz
Brandon Pieniozek
whiterob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2009 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
spike131113 wrote:
Would it work if i cut a 1.3X1.3 inch hole in each side to tune the box to 40hz
You would almost be guaranteed to get poor results if you were to do this. Ported enclosures need much more internal volume then sealed enclosures to perform well. So trying to turn a sealed enclosure into a ported enclosure is not usually practical.
A 1.3" x 1.3" hole is going to be too small for a port. You would need a much larger port. The problem is if you add a larger port it will take up more internal volume to keep the desired tuning frequency. This is why turning a sealed enclosure into a ported enclosure is not practical.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic