icon

amplifier causes radio interferance

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redcavyquaker 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2009 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Lately, I have not been able to listen to my regularly strong radio stations. This started happening after I mounted my amplifier on the back of my enclosure to keep it out of the way in my trunk. Last night, I installed a kill switch into my dash for the amp so I can completely turn off the amp when I'm not in the mood for the extreme bass. When driving today, I found that all my stations were back. As soon as I flipped the switch to turn on the amp, there was a good deal of static coming through the speakers. I have a digital media receiver, so I switched it to iPod mode and there was no interference whatsoever.
I have my RCA wires and Remote Turn On wire down the passenger side of the car and my power wires run down the drivers side.
So is it just my amp placement that is causing the radio static?
If so, is there any way that I can shield it or do I just have to move it again?
Here's the models of everything I've got:
1999 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe
Alpine IDA-X001 Digital Media Head Unit
Hifonics BXI-1606D Amplifier
0/1 Gauge Power & Ground
Alpine SWX-1243D 12" Subwoofer
james.jaros 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
Did you happen to change the grounding location of your amp when you moved it? Some cars have the ground for the radio actually running all the way to the trunk. You may be getting a loop. I would try making a new ground for the head unit somewhere within about 6 inches of its location.
-under_lucky-
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
your amplifier is generating Radio Frequency Interference.   Where is the antenna for your radio?   If it was not doing this before mounting the amp on your box (which is a really bad idea)  I would suggest you mount it back to the floor of the vehicle, and as far away from the antenna as possible.  Simply moving the amp from it's horizontal position to it's new different  position could cause this. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
... and by the way, an amplifier that generates RFI indicates a poorly designed amp...
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic