icon

fiberglass box design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
h3llion 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone, first post, quick question.
I'm working on an install on a '09 Yaris hatchback.
Basically, I'm working out a design for a fiberglass box that will sit face down in the spare tire well. The subs will be pointed down towards the bottom of the car, and you will be able to see the backside of the subs through a window on the "top" of the box. I've attached a basic pic of what I am talking about, please forgive my mad MS Paint skillzors.
Anyway, I'm new to non-conventional box designs, but I've pretty well guessed that I need to create some kind of open air channel, or port, from the front of the subs, outside of the box and to open air to keep them from getting damaged. Again, I've made this assumption, so please correct it if it's wrong.
Continuing on, my ultimate question is this; How large should said channel/port be to accommodate the subs, and will this affect the sound/output at all? I'm working with 2 SWR-1042D's, and 2 PDX.1-600's (Alpine on both.)
Please let me know if you need more info, or another supersweet diagram. Thanks,
h3llion 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
fiberglass box design -- posted image.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
You have a couple of options... from my calculations, you'll need at least 50sq" of area needed from the bottom of the box to bring the sound up from underneath. Also, I recommend that you have at least 3" from the face of the sub to the floor.
As for effect on sound, that will depend on how much ported area you have for it. Shape, structure, material, etc. will all affect how it will sound, so it's next to impossible to determine how it will be affected.
Ganbatte ne!
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
h3llion 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Swung by a local shop to get a quote out of curiosity...roughly 700 w/o paint, yikes.
I gonna start working seriously on this next week...will post pics as I go along.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic