icon

06 honda accord remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kshew97 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

I just bought a 06 Accord for my wife. When we bought it, the factory key fob had an audiovox single button remote start transmitter attached. The salesperson said it worked, and the former owner (lease turn in) showed him how but couldn't remember how to work it. Something about hitting the factory button twice and then holding the Audiovox button in until the car starts.

I have tried every gyration and combination of lock/unlock, remote start, etc. Even went to Audiovox's website and downloaded the 901 install guide hoping to find out how it interracts with the Honda OEM security system. I was hoping I could find the "brains" for the audiovox, follow the wiring, and see if a valet key is in the vehicle somewhere and everything else was wired properly. I did talk to the service guy at the Honda dealership and he even confirmed the remote start worked while they had it, but also could not remember how to do it.

Any advice? I reallly do not want to pay for a new remote start if I don't have to. The installers at Best Buy etc are usually no help unless they did the install on their own product (and even then it is a crap shoot). Now that the wife knows it CAN have remote starts, she thinks she NEEDS to have one! Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated!

cmk0808ny 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  

press the audiovox button 2x   car should start

may have to unlock the car first then remote start it

kshew97 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

No dice....Do one of the keys need to be inside the car or close to the steering column for the factory anti-theft to allow the remote start to work?

Where would be a good place to search for the "brain" box? Is there a location that is "standard" for them to mount this? I have had no luck trying to locate it to see how it is wired.

beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
What happens when you press twice? Nothing? Parklights flash?   Crank but no start?   If nothing happens it may be as simple as a on/off switch under the dash somewhere.
kshew97 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

Nothing happens at all....

I have scanned the underside of the dash looking for some sort of swicth and nothing there. Just curious where the box may be so I can verify power, or if there is some way to "sync" the remotes. I was just at the dealership where we bought the car yesterday and the salesman tried to start the car too. He SWEARS he was able to get it to work before we bought the car, or he would have removed the key fobs.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Look for an antenna adhered to the inside of the windshield. If you don't see one, either the antenna was (improperly) buried under the dashboard, or the remote starter has been removed.
A good installer would either A, drill the valet/programming pushbutton into the underdash panel or driver's kick panel, or B, leave it inside the driver's fuse box or maybe under the leading edge of the carpet.
Many installers suck, don't think about others, and leave the button in some location that requires disassembling the car to get to it.
On your car, the black underdash panel can't be easily removed without removing the interior-colored panel that's ahead of your knees first.
That panel (in front of your knees) is held on by just one screw and a handful of clips, but the clips are tight and the panel cracks easily.....if you decide to pull it off, only do it when the car's interior is warm so it's less brittle.
Oftentimes, car dealers remove aftermarket accessories from the used cars they're going to sell, so they don't get stuck warrantying them afterward. It's possible the dealer removed the remote starter, but failed to remove the remote from the key ring.
If they're a new-car dealer with a reputation to protect, you can sometimes put pressure on them to get the existing remote starter repaired, or if they've removed it, to have another one installed at their expense. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't, but worth a try.
P.S. Audiovox remote starters also come with a safety control switch, which more often than not ends up on the shop floor instead of being installed in the car.
However, it's worth checking. Look around under the dash for a small on/off toggle switch, and if you find it, make sure it's on the "on" position.
kshew97 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I did everything you said and then finally broke down and removed the panels on the drivers side. NOTHING

I can see where the wire were taped up at the splice where the unit USED to be, but apparently they removed it at the dealership AFTER I committed to buy the car. I argued with them for several hours yesterday, and bottom line was it is a "Certified Honda" and therefore could nothave aftermarket accessories on it that were not installed by Honda or it would void the "Certified" status. They were willing to talk to a local company they  do business with and see about getting me another one at cost,  but I figured I would be better off finding one I liked as opposed to taking what they have to offer.

So now I went from fix it mode, to shopping mode. Don't need keyless entry or an alarm, since I have to carry to giant Honda key anyhow with the lock/unlock/trunk button anyhow. Any suggestions on a good remote start only? Since the wires under the dash are already out and marked, figured this would be a walk in the park install !

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2009 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, the new car dealers do this all the time.
The first thing they do is have one of their mechanics remove whatever aftermarket stuff like this they can...........from their point of view, it adds little value to the car, and is just another thing for them to have to warranty/fix/replace down the road.
Then either the dealer technician was an idiot and forgot to remove the remote from the keychain, or maybe the tech had one key for the car, and the other key/remote was in an envelope in the sales office.
Anyway, from your point of view, you bought a car with a remote starter, and now it doesn't have it, and it's their fault.
I'll be if you get a new system installed, keep the receipt, and file a small claims case with the dealer, there's a good chance they'll pay it.
Or, look around on Google and learn how to write a demand letter.
http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-articles/demand-letter-dos-donts.html
Send (by registered mail so you have a signed return receipt) a demand letter to the owner/president of the dealership...nothing to lose.
Anyway, on to your technical question:
---Take note that your Honda remotes don't work when the car is running. After remote starting, you need some way to get into the car.
---Your keys have an anti-theft transponder chip in them. Do you have all three keys for the car, including the gray valet key? (If it's a certified used car, I would hope so.)
---Because of the immobilizer keys, you need a way to temporarily bypass the system to allow the car to remote start.
You can save money by permanently placing one of your existing keys into a universal bypass module....search Google for AS-TCBM, 556U, TBXKEY, et cetera.
There are other, costlier modules that communicate with the car via data, and don't require that you lose a spare key. www.idatalink.com www.ifar.ca
---I install Audiovox, so I'm of course biased toward that brand.
One bonus to using Audiovox is you could program that remote you already have, it'll work with their newer systems too.
Look for PRO9056, PRO9051, APS901, APS921 (has two-way confirmation).
All of those work like this: Push button twice to start. Push and hold button to unlock doors to let you get into the car. (If remote start is running, you'll have to open the trunk with the key.)
---As far as the car having had another unit installed previously......
For a rookie or non-professional installer, it's nice that the wires have already been found; that's true.
For a more experienced installer who already knows where all the wires are anyway, this usually slows them down, as they'll probably lose 15 minutes or so cleaning up whatever remnants the Honda mechanic left behind.
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
If that aftermarket remote start was part of the deal and you got it on paper, you have the legal means to have them provide a remote start or you should be compensated accordingly. At best you can probably contact the general manager of the dealer and tell him you "only" agreed to buy the car after they told it had it. lol... may work.. may not, but if it's on the paperwork as part of the deal they still owe ya!!!!
there can be only one.......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic