icon

Good Subwoofer Enclosure Design?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haleyislove 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2009 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
hi everyone! I've purchased 2 alpine e-10 subs, and an alpine 500watt monoblock amp to power them.
I've been doing a whole lot of research and taken a lot of measurements in the trunk. with what I've come up with i used the calculators on this site to design myself this box:
Good Subwoofer Enclosure Design? -- posted image.
the net interior enclosure volume is: 2.35 cu^ft (without subs)
the net interior port volume is     : 0.50 cu^ft
im pretty sure its the biggest box that will fit into my trunk opening..
please let me know what you think, and anything you might change as this is going to be my first custom made box! :)
thanks in advanced,     Patrick.
haleyislove 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2009 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
amp = Alpine Mono Amplifier MRP-M500
sub = Alpine 10" 250W SWE-1043 (x2)
car = 2000 neon... haha
pcana11 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
it looks like it should be pretty good. as long as your specs for the subs and the specs for the box match up then imo it should hit good also. thats pretty bad how you designed it tho. what did you use? and i also have that same  alpine amp on a type s 12, upgrading to an r. its bad tho. just dont mount it to the box. and i like the fact that your flush mounting them
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
How do you plan to curve your  MDF at the port exit?
Support the12volt.com
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
 Im sure he plans to Kerf the mdf to make the curves
haleyislove 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2009 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
thanks pcana, i used google sketch up to design the box (its free!)
i really like the look of recessed subs too.
any suggestions on where to mount the amp? why not on the box? not too much room in the neon... haha
yes im planning on doing kerf bends, and then filling the gaps with wood glue.
anyone know where i can buy the carpet to cover it with?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
1: Gonna hafta look into that Google Sketch Up... Never heard of it, but if it lets you do THAT kind of stuff... that's buh-DASS!!! =)
3: If the amp is small enough, I'd recommend under the seat. I never recommend mounting an amp on a box, unless that box is braced FAR more than you have indicated in your drawing. Those walls are gonna flex and vibe like nobody's business, especially the back and right end! See this thread to give you an idea of proper bracing... By the way everybody, pics to follow soon for the completed setup of that box! Looks sharp, sounds better! The walls are like knocking on stone, and the Gorilla Glue sealed that thing tighter than a duck's butt! No breathing, ZERO flexing...
3: Don't bother filling the kerfs. It won't be necessary. At those dimensions, once curved, and held in place top and bottom, you'll have no strength or flex issues. I promise...
4: Any decent fabrics store in your area should be able to provide you fabric to cover that up!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
nice design...looks like you got most of your design style from PoundThatSound
Custom Enclosure Design
pcana11 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, i have sketch up on my flash drive, im just not great on it. and i wouldnt mount my amp to my box because of the rattling and vibrations from the subs. one other thing, just make sure that the port stays the same width all the way through
haleyislove 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2009 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
yeah! his work is what inspired me to build my own box! i saw them on the other forum, his boxes are amazzzing!
and yes the port is the same width all the way through :)
what do you think about trying to fit the amp in between the two rear speakers? behind the back seat
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic