icon

subsonic filter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
So my new amp (SPL DK2 2000) has a sub sonic filter. there isn't a switch to turn it on and off. and its lowest level is at 30Hz. is there any way I can disable the subsonic filter?
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

What makes you want to disable it?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2009 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
30Hz seems a lil high.. Feels like I'm loosing a little on the low side. It might jus be my imagination though.
Does it cut everything off lower than 30, or is it a roll off?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2009 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
Just like any crossover, it's a roll-off. 30Hz is the 3dB down point. Seems like a super-dee-duper amp that you can't even adjust to a decent frequency, let alone disable the subsonic... Where'd you get it so I don't make the same mistake...? Are you absolutely certain you can't disable it?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2009 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well I got it from a friend of a friend. They go for about $300 new. It was only used for a couple months. Its only temporary till i can afford the pdx 1000.1. And Yes unfortunately it cannot be disabled.
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2009 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
subsonic filter -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
If I happen to have one of those jewels come across my bench in the next few weeks, I will open it up and see if I can figure out for you.  Depending on how the filter is designed, it may be as simple as changing a couple resistors to lower the frequency to 15Hz. 
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
That would be amazing and greatly appreciated. If i got ahold of a high def camera, do you think pictures of the circuit in that area would help?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
SPL is Power Acoustik's bargain brand, if that tells you anything... If you can't turn off the subsonic high pass, then you probably do not want to use this amp with a sealed subwoofer system.  Indeed, I would recommend not using this amp period, but that's just me...
Support the12volt.com
blackcivichatch 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I would recommend not using this amp period, but that's just me...
Lol. I'm beginning to agree. I'm gonna see if i can get someone else to buy it off me and try my luck again. I really just need something cheap for temporary. Plus the SPL logo lights up bright blue and I'm goin for green... So I guess its back to Ebay. subsonic filter -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic