icon

4 ohm car speaker on 2 ohm load

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daniel gt1 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
wat would be the outcome if you wire, a 4 ohm car speaker on a 2 ohm load on a 4 channel amp?..would u get cleaner sound..or would you cause damage to the amp?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
A 4-ohm speaker is a 4-ohm load.  If you place two 4-ohm speakers in parallel you present a 2-ohm load to the amplifier.  What exactly are you trying to do?
Support the12volt.com
daniel gt1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
A 4-ohm speaker is a 4-ohm load.  If you place two 4-ohm speakers in parallel you present a 2-ohm load to the amplifier.  What exactly are you trying to do?
i know how 2 wire in parallel and series etc...i wanna run 2 6x9s and 2 6.5s on a 4 channel amp...cud i do this ?
mrarff 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
 You may do anything you wish Grasshopper...it  ABSOLUTLY depends on the power rating of both the amp AND your speakers. 50 watt rms speakers generally won't last very long or sound very well connected to a 200 watt/channel(rms) amp. Match your speakers to your amp. And also, spend some time reading these posts/topics/replys, all of them in general. You really can learn alot without ever asking/typing a thing.....If it sounds good to you...then it IS good.
"That'll get ya 10 in Leavenworth,11 in Twelveworth, or 5 & 10 in Woolworth". Groucho Marx                                                      
daniel gt1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
yea i know i dont hav to post anything,regardless if the answer is already here, but its alwayz a recommended way of i postin somthing i dont know. :)
I'm sure you guys heard of "SPAWN" in Trinidad and Tobago. Our guys in our country DONT use 4 channel amps for mids especially. Why? because use a power 2 channel amp eg : RF 800.2, Soundstream PCA 880.2 or even a Precision Power 2 channel amp..wWe then BRIDGE the speakers, for more power and maxing them out for a loud mids setup.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

The only thing that makes sense out of what you've said here, daniel gt1, is that you might be wondering if a 4 ohm load is harder on an amp than a 2 ohm load.  It is not; it is easier.  4 ohms is the lighter load.  So of course you can connect four speakers to a 4-channel amp.  That is the best way to do it.

wrote:
i know how 2 wire in parallel and series etc...i wanna run 2 6x9s and 2 6.5s on a 4 channel amp...cud i do this ?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
daniel gt1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2009 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
The only thing that makes sense out of what you've said here, daniel gt1, is that you might be wondering if a 4 ohm load is harder on an amp than a 2 ohm load.  It is not; it is easier.  4 ohms is the lighter load.  So of course you can connect four speakers to a 4-channel amp.  That is the best way to do it.
wrote:
I GUESS YOU'RE ACCURATE ON THAT STATEMENT, BUT I UNDERSTAND NOW..THX !! :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic