icon

wire sizes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, i have a few questions about wire sizes. I'm going to be putting about 1500 watts RMS into my civic. I currently have an 8 guage wire kit installed. Soon i plan on getting a new 2 guage wire kit. I have not yet done the Big 3. 

My first question is, How many 8 guage wires equal one 0 gauge wire?

What else can i do with my 8 guage kit, as im broke and dont want it to go to waste

Is 8 guage wire too big to use as speaker wire for 1000 wats goin into a Type R 15?

Probably all dumb questios, I know. lol. Jus been on my mind for a while.

UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
A single doubling of wire will approximately give you two and one half wire gauge steps up...
My two 4G wires equals roughly a 1G wire... It's slightly smaller than 1G, but it's close enough.
So...
2 @ 8G = 5
4 @ 8G = 2
16 @ 8G = 00
You will need about six to eight 8G wires to roughly equal one 1/0 cable.
Another way to figure? Circular mils
8G = 16510 circ mils
1/0 = 105600 circ mils
105600/16510=6.4
By the more ACCURATE method, you need seven.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
subbassdude 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
it takes 6.35 8 gauge wires to make a single 0 gauge. There is a calculator to find this out on the website http://www.bcae1.com/ (near the bottom of that page) as well as a wire size calculator for seeing the difference between different sub wire sizes.
some amps can fit up to 8 gauge for speakers terminal output so depending on your amp it might work but it might be more than needed for bare minimum.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
 You can run your 8 gauge from the battery to a Blue Sea fuse block and the HU power to the fuse block...the Monitors to the fuse block....CD Changer to the fuse block....alarm power to the fuse block or whatever.  
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot guys. I think that just buying a few feet of 0 gauge will be a better choice for the big 3. lol. This gave me a lot of new ideas.
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic