icon

viper 5902, 2001 toyota tundra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tundra01trd 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone, new to the forum here, I have some questions about an install I am trying to do I have a 2001 toyota tundra that I am trying to install a viper 5902 in. Previously it had a python 650 esp in there it was all hooked up it just never functioned (I bought it used) so the harness and brain were in there but I didn't have any remote, I dont know why it just never did anything. My questions are about the remote start harness, tachometer lead on the 18 pin harness, the 18 pin harness itself, and the main harness
First I am not sure which wire to hook up the tachometer feed to I found the plug on my tach and the wiring printout said blu/wht or black I found that it has both wires and am not sure which wire to use for the 18-pin harness please help
Secondly, I was wondering if the 18-pin harness itself is optional or if most wires need to be hooked up (ie accessory, starter etc)
Third I had noticed on the remote start harness it has 2 ignition 1 inputs, and 2 ignition 2 inputs do they all need to be hooked up
And last, on the main harness it calls for a "parking light isolation wire- pin 87a of onboard relay" Which wire is this to be hooked up to in my tundra
This is my first alarm install, but I have installed several decks, amps and subs, any help would be greatly appreciated
tundra01trd 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2009 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I just installed a viper 5902 in my 2001 tundra, previously it had a python 650 esp with some sort of starter kill relay installed, I asked an installer at best buy about my installation (I did it myself using posi-taps) he said that I would not need the starter kill relay, when I finished the job(not using the starter kill relay) my truck would no longer start (turn over to be exact) I disconnected everything and reconnected it in its original form and it still doesn't start please anything will help!!! it unlocks and locks the doors
tundra01trd 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
So I checked all the fuses, and there's no blown fuses that I can see, checked both fuse boxes (one under the hood, one by driver's kick panel) when I turn the key I can hear a noise, it's no the clicking noise one can hear when one's battery is almost dead. Also I am having trouble finding the starter input wire since the starter is under the intake manifold I can test the starter wire at the ignition (on mine it is BLACK/ green) it gets power when you turn the key, but I cannot find where the wire goes from inside the dash to the actual starter. I hope that somehow I did not damage my starter or electrical components, I am not sure at this point what to do, I'm pretty tech savvy, but I've hit a wall. Not sure whether to tow it to some place like best buy or an auto shop. I have rewired everything in it's original form and ti still will not start, no one I know knows anything about r/s or alarms. Does anyone have any input what-so-ever?
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
How did you check the fuses? Visual, or with a multimeter? Check all areas of the vehicle where you made your connections. Make sure none of the plugs have come undone.
tundra01trd 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
yes I did a visual inspection I had better check with a mm to be sure
tundra01trd 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
yes all fuses are fine, now just need to figure out whether to try to replace starter relay in fuse box or have it towed somewhere
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Well, if you know where the starter relay is, then I would pull the relay, and test the pins of the relay socket. Assuming the starter relay is in the fusebox under the hood, this will help to tell you where the circuit is being broken. One of the pins should show 12 volts during crank only. If that's the case, then you know the circuit is being broke in between the fusebox, and the starter. If you don't get 12 volts on one of the pins of the starter relay, then you will know the circuit is being broke inside the truck. Should be fairly simple to determine. Throwing a new relay in, won't hurt anything, but the odds of the relay just going bad are pretty slim.  I do have a stupid question though........when you took out the other system, you did reconnect the 2 pieces of the cut starter wire, and how did you reconnect them? Test on both sides of the connection with a multimeter to verify you are getting 12 volts during crank.........if you already haven't.
tundra01trd 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
I reconnected them with posi taps, shows connection on both sides before reconecting
tundra01trd 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
replaced starter relay, still doesn't start maybe somehow it ruined my starter I don't know at this point I checked power at the relay it clicks over when you turn the key and since toyota decided to put the starter under the intake manifold for some retarded reason I can't check it out was thinking about having it towed to best buy but I doubt they can make it start, guess I'll have to figure out where I can take it toyota dealership is about 50 miles from me I cant afford that tow was considering taking to a firestone. thoughts?
tundra01trd 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
So I put it in neutral and tried starting it, it started right up! I have no idea why thank you for your help!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic