icon

vehicle won't start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daviwalker 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2009 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Avital model 4103 installed on a 1996 Crown vic. For some reason the motor will not start. If I completely disconnect all the wires from the Avital will that elimate the remote system as being the reason for not cranking. The motor turns over but will not start.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
If it turns over but will not start, the Avital is most likely not to blame. The first things I'd check are whether or not the "Theft" light in the dash is blinking rapidly (assuming the car has a Theft indicator), and whether or not the fuel pump interrupt has tripped.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2009 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Sure...disconnect and repair any connections...Probably not the remote start...But to ease your mind...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
daviwalker 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2009 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
The vehicle does not have a theft light or system. The fuel pump was ruled out by our county mechanic, it was just replaced two weeks ago and had 35 psi on it. I did get it to start running by removing the connection that had the brown wire, which the installation manual indicated the brown wire is the brake shut down wire. After starting I reconnected it and the whole system seems to be working fine now. Any suggestions on why? thank you for the reply.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
look at going to a different mechanic. for one thing 35psi is way too low. a Ford will typically have 90-100 psi at the pump and BEFORE the presure regulator. the pump may have been changed, but that doesnt mean anything, it can be bad, thats what warranties are for, if new things never ever went bad, there would be no need for any such thing as a warranty, right? was the fuel pump relay also changed? i cant count how many times i've seen people replace fuel pumps only to find out later that it was only the $15 fuel pump relay all along. OOOPPSSS!! i think you are going to have start problems again in the near future.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2009 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

Low pressure equalls a clogged fuel filter under the car...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
el ranchero 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2009 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
check all the fuses, some american cars use fuse links, look like wires but are fuses and are designesigned to melt in case of a short.
rocker
daviwalker 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2009 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
You were right the problem is back. Where is the fuel pump relay located. I changed all seven relays under the hood but the manual did not indicate which or where the fuel pump relay was. Any further help would be appreciated. I also check the bump switch in the trunk and it was not tripped?
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
A few thoughts:
Not sure if you're referring to the owner's manual or a repair guide lacking relay information, daviwalker, but Edmunds has a helpful post on finding owner's manuals from a manufacturer. This is especially useful for Ford vehicles because they retardedly can't put a label on the fusebox cover like anyone else does.
When it won't start, I'd first check for fuel and spark. 95% of the time that'll lead you on the way to identifying the problem.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic