icon

stereo's volume will not work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Okay.. I used to install at best buy for about a year. That was five years ago. Hated installing. Knew it wasn't for me, and got out of it. I'm a fabricator. Nothing more..
So here's my dillema. I went to install my sirius unit the other day in my 98 expedition which came from the previous owner with a pre-installed avital remote start that has always worked flawlessly. I don't know the model #, but from what I can remember; It's very comparable to the viper 160 vx.. Same brain box, wiring etc.
So what I did was go to tap into my power wires in my steering column (naturally) and while doing so, the ribbon cable from the satellite box came unplugged. I figured no biggie, plugged it back in. Then,the truck will not remote start. Tried everything I could remember from my mediocre training and nothing would work. Re-programmed the tach. Nothing. Disconnected the system and the battery for several minutes each nothing. Finally gave in and took it to a best buy and paid $20 for a trouble shoot. The dude says he had to reprogram it and it's fine now.
Okay, so we get home. Being me, I go outside an hour later to make sure it's still working and nothing. Does the "out of gas thing".. So I reprogram the tach again, and now it works fine. BUT**!- now my stereo's volume will not work at all when I remote start even after the key is in and the remote start function is bypassed and it's never had any problems what so ever... It's a newer Alpine HU. Not sure of the model and or how it would do this out of nowhere with the remote start but I could use some love here. This is quite honestly driving me nuts. Any ideas?
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
So the radio works fine if started with the key...? But you cant adjust the volume when the remote start feature is used...?? If you have a meter, check the voltages on the 12v and acc leads to the radio...Dont really have any thought on what could be the problem...But i would maybe dis-connect the sirius you installed then check voltage at the radio during remote start and with key start...!?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
lathan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, I will do that.. I don't know if it makes a difference- and I don't see how it would. But I tapped my sirius wires into the fat red and pink wires off of the remote start because I figured they were all the same once they are connected..

But this volume thing is weird as I've ever seen. You turn the knob, and nothing happens. You can't even see the levels go up and down. It also won't change cd tracks or radio stations.. When you push to change the track, the little red light blinks on the right as it ajulways does, but it doesn't change tracks.. I just don't see how adding the sirius unit would cause this..?

Lathan Hites
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah...No clue...So it does work when you use the key...? Just not when you remote start...?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
keep_hope_alive 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
i would quit tapping the wires in the steering column for HU/sat radio/etc. i would never tap those wires for any purpose other than remote start/alarm. case in point, you're messing with the same wires you use for remote start and you're having problems with both.
just pick up a small 10awg amp install kit for <$20. use that to provide a independent 10awg wire behind the head unit, fused at the battery for 30A. this is more than enough to power anything you want to add (including a power inverter if you ever see the need). or you can use smaller wire with a smaller fuse. the point is to get power from something else. the factory wires were sized to handle factory loads. adding load to factory wires is something i always avoid.
use the factory radio ignition turn on to power the coil of a standard relay - this will provide an isolated ignition turn-on source. the new 10awg battery lead provides both constant 12V and ignition 12V when wired through the relay. ground to the floor.
i do this now when adding any high power head unit, or accessories at the dash, and the results are awesome. not only do i get a much higher voltage at the radio location (due to reduced voltage drop), but i also protect/isolate all of the factory wiring.
Electrons behave like waves on monday, wednesday, and friday, like particles on tuesday, thursday, and saturday, and like nothing at all on sunday.
lathan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yep.. It got cold out and I was lazy. My bad. Already did basically what you suggested a couple of days ago.. Just need to figure out how to re program my remote start again..
Lathan Hites

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic