icon

remote start on boat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dvaldez0989 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
has anybody added a remote start to a boat?? and if so how well does it work and how easy is it??
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
There's no reason it shouldn't, assume diesel at 12 volts, even then the voltage  doesn't matter, the only questuion is WHY?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't see any reason you couldn't, with a few small concerns:
--Is it fuel injected or carbureted? Remote starters have no easy way to move throttles and choke levers and such.
--Unlike a car, on a boat you have the ability to lock the throttle in any position you want, correct? Most remote starters have over-rev protection that will shut the system down if RPMs go too high, but it doesn't work all the time with every motor......you wouldn't want to leave the throttle open and damage the engine.
--Also, do boats have some sort of wire to show that the throttle is in that middle, neutral position? You don't want to be able to remote start the boat "in gear" and have it take off.
--I'm not a boater, but I wonder if the people who manage the place where the boat is docked, have some kind of rule about the boat being running and unattended? It would be a shame to install the remote starter and then not be allowed to use it.
--In a car, you typically turn the ignition key on, and then press the brake pedal, which turns the remote starter off and leaves the car under your control. Since boats don't have brake pedals, you'll need some other reliable way to shut the remote starter off upon key takeover.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
not gonna happen either if its an outboard, even if its fuel injected. how would you prime the primer bulb? i would also want some way of only having it start if its in the water so you dont burn up the engine by accident. how you could accomplish that though, i havent a clue.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

hi,

well don't forget to run the blower to vent the engine compartment for a few minutes before even turning the trying to start it.  would hate to mix gasoline vapors and a spark.

m

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for those replies guys, I don't really know too much about boats where I live, I'm at least 100 miles in any direction from the sea, the last time I crossed the English Channel it was underneath at 200mph!
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, here's a field i know! I have owned a small boat repair business for the last 15 years and have installed a dozen or so starters in them. EFI motors are easy, the key switch is basic with power, igntion and start wires. Practically all cruisers have the tachs near the switch so that makes it easy to get. Obviously there are no brakes so a brake wire is impossible. What i do is add a pushbutton switch that is connected to the hood wire and gets ground to shut it off after you insert the key. I have done some carbed motors but they are good only after the motors have been running. Most Mercruiser blocks tend to start without pumping the gas after the initial start of the weekend. If they were running Saturday night they should start Sunday morning if tuned well. Getting a solenoid to pump the gas would be a big issue as the throttle is not spring loaded like a car. It can't move unless the Throttle is moved and that requires you to put it in neutral first.

Ckeeler, EFI outboards don't have a primer bulb like carbed motors. They have an electric fuel pump just like a car(i actually did a set on a 31 foot Scorpion that had twin 225 Optimax Mercs on it, no problem).

Howie buddy, this ain't the UK. Not nearly as many Diesels over here....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

Ckeeler, EFI outboards don't have a primer bulb like carbed motors. They have an electric fuel pump just like a car(i actually did a set on a 31 foot Scorpion that had twin 225 Optimax Mercs on it, no problem).

i'd like to agree but i cant. by friends Champion bass boat (2006) has a Yamaha VMAX 250 on the back of it and, it has a primer bulb, and yes it does have to be primed if sitting for more than a few days at a time. it does not have a fuel pump like a car, it has an injection pump built on the engine which is fed by a little rinky dink rattle pump in the battery/ fuel tank compartment, it still has to be primed (i thought it was weird too myself). his last Aries boat with a Mercruiser was the same way. my other friend has an 08 Aries with a Mercruiser on the back, same thing. maybe that's not the norm, but sure seems common around here.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic