the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Did i make the right choice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
I just paid $700 for my Power 1000bd, and $500 for 2 RFP2112 HX2's. I paid a little more because I went with an authorized RF dealer, so I get the full factory warrenty. My birth Certificate shows 1185, but the fine print says "at 15.1 volts". I know I won't see that since I'm still running a 12v setup.
Yeovil, for the RFR3112 You would want 1.0 cu. ft. in a sealed enclosure, and 2.5 cu. ft. in a ported enclosure with a 4"x12.65" port.
Are you running at 1 or 4 ohms? Your RFR3112 is a 2ohm DVC, so you can only wire into 1 or 4ohms, not 2 (at least not with just 1 2ohm DVC). If your running at a 4ohm total load, then you're only seeing around 500watts RMS, not 1000 (which you could get at a 2ohm total load). I've spoken with 4 Rockford Tech reps today when I was getting my HX2's, and they all said not to run the 1000bd at 1ohm.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
yeovil 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Squirrel,

I checked with the RF dealers as well. I 've rarely had to use the warranties on items that I've purchased, so I decided to go with the no warranty pay half as much route and if something does go wrong with the amp, either getting it repaired or buying another at half price still puts me no worse than even  $ wise. If nothing goes wrong as usual, I'm way ahead. Obviously it remains to be seen. I ended up with approximately $3500-$3600 list for $1850 on the equipment I bought. I also picked up an 851X for $397, an Alumapro Cap 5 for $225, FNQ3614 comp spkrs $250, the RFR3112 for $256, and SONY cd  WX4500x $192 and changer CDX757mx for $158.

I must have screwed up on the Sub setup-I didn't realize I would have to run at 4ohms with one sub. Will it affect the apparent volume or sound quality  I get that greatly running it at 4ohms. I'm loading this equip into a Miata trunk. I want it loud, but I'm more concerned with clarity of sound than vibrating a whole city block. The authorized RF dealer didn't clue me in on this. I told them what I was doing and they recommended the 1000bd with the ONE sub.

If you're getting old-turn it up so it still sounds the same-If you can't turn it up any higher -get a bigger amp.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry they did that to you. Here's what you can wire with one 2ohm DVC
Did i make the right choice? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Did i make the right choice? - Page 2 -- posted image.
You would deffinately notice a difference between 1 and 4ohms. At 1ohm, your single RFR3112 would be getting 1000watts (which is the RMS rating for that sub). At 4ohms, you would only be getting 500watts. That's seriously underpowering a sub rated at 1000RMS 2000Peak. RF amps are usually pretty good with their circuit protection, and since you already have the equipment give it a shot at 1ohm. If it goes into protect mode then you will know you have to switch to 4ohms, or get a different sub(s). Make sure to turn the gains down when you are in 1ohm mode.
I'm kinda contradicting myself from an earlier post, because I didn't want to run my old 500bd @ 1ohm without knowing it was stable first. But I had not already bought the replacement subs, and I didn't want to go through the hassel of returning them in a couple of days! So I went with a guarenteed 2ohm stable system (subs and amp)
It surprises me that 4 RF Techs advised me against running at 1ohm, but they told you to try. Maybe it was because I asked specifically about the Power 500bd, not the Power 1000bd. But, even the manual for the Power BD series (500bd, 1000bd, and 1500bd) does not rate any of those amps at 1ohm. There's nothing on RFTech about any of the BD's being 1ohm stable either.
I'd at least try the 4ohm setup first and see if you like it (especially since you said you were after more SQ then ground pounding SPL). Then try the 1ohm setup briefly, and with the gains turned way down. But without that factory warrenty you're stuck dealing with the company (or individual) that sold them to you if anything blows. And they may try and screw you out of a replacement if they find out that you tried to run a 1ohm load on an amp that has a minimun load of 2ohms.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic