best enclosure for 4 subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
asquarecan 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2009 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
I am looking at installing 4 10" dual 4 ohm Memphis woofers in my trunk and trying to get some ideas and suggestions for the best set-up I can run.
I am trying not to loose my entire trunk of my 05 G6.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Keith
keep_hope_alive 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2009 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
since you probably don't have 46" or so of width between the wheel wells, you can't mount them in a line. if you are willing to modify the rear deck you can do two facing forward through the rear seat and two facing up playing through the rear deck. envision two trapezoidal enclosures stacked.
another idea is a W style enclosure that is located between the wheel wells. make it as high as possible so you can minimize the depth and retain the most trunk space.
if they are all sealed it would take the lease amount of space. something like .75 cu. ft. each for a total of 3 cu. ft. or so.
Electrons behave like waves on monday, wednesday, and friday, like particles on tuesday, thursday, and saturday, and like nothing at all on sunday.
asquarecan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
OK guys,
I built a box but cant decide if I should face 3 woofers back 1 forward or 2 back 2 forward.
Other then visually... will it really make a difference?
Thanks
Keith
keep_hope_alive 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
yes, it will make a difference. is it a common enclosure box or are the subs separated?
when you face them in opposite directions they will be out of phase with each other.
you will still have more bass, but it may sound awful, or it may sound ok. by awful, i mean "peaky" response that has little SQ (but can have plenty of "boom"). the wavelengths are so long, phase interference isn't as much of a concern, but overall response will vary compared to keeping them on the same plane. your enclosure design is the most important part.
if you must do it that way, i vote to keep it even, two forward, two back.   i also vote for separate chambers regardless.
Electrons behave like waves on monday, wednesday, and friday, like particles on tuesday, thursday, and saturday, and like nothing at all on sunday.
pcana11 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  
what about firing two to each side? would you have enough space for that. then maybe an amp rack on front?
asquarecan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
I should clear something up I may have been a little miss leading about...
When I said facing subs I am not talking about inverting the woofers, all magnets will be on the inside of the box.
I just need to decide if I am going to have 2 woofers front and back of 3 woofers in the back and one on the front of the box.
Here is a picture of my box in progress...
best enclosure for 4 subs? - Last Post -- posted image.
It is a common area box BTW and no it is not vented that is just the last piece I need to finish, I was getting hungry and took a break at this point :)
Thanks
Keith
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
That was answered. DON'T do it that way. Two and two. No other option is going to be recommended or endorsed by anybody here.
I hope to HELL you braced the living crap out of those walls... I'm not even kidding... Wall area like that is going to DEMAND huge bracing. You will lose so much output in wall flex alone, if you dont.
BRACE THEM!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
keep_hope_alive 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
agreed. bracing is very important.
i would use 3/4" mdf with a double thick baffles and sides, and massive internal bracing.
asquarecan 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Cool thanks guys
The top of the box is not glued down yet so I will pop it off and break it down to two chambers one for the 2 in the back and one for the 2 in the front and then brace the hell out of it.
Thanks
Keith

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic