icon

viper 5701 on 08 toyota tacoma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
moserjj 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2009 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
I have a couple of questions about installing a Viper 5701 in a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. The pinout for the Viper unit (heavy gauge wires) shows:
Pink ignition 1 (output - also ignition sense input)
RED / white (input)
Orange accessory (output)
Violet starter (output - car side of starter wire)
Green starter (input - key side of starter wire)
Red 12V constant (input)
Pink/White Flex relay (output - default is ignition 2)
Pink/Black Flex relay contact 87a (output - default is ignition 2)
RED / Black (input - for accessory and starter relays)
My question is about hooking up the 2nd starter wire in the Tacoma, as well as the 2nd ignition wire. Reading the instructions and the forums, I'm wondering if i can do this:
Pink ignition 1 -> ignition 1 wire in Taco
RED / white -> 12V input
Orange accessory -> ignition wire 2 in Taco (since accessory runs off ignition)
Violet starter -> starter wire 1
Green starter -> not connected (is it necessary to cut the starter wire? if so, then key side of starter 1 wire)
Red 12V constant -> 12V input
Pink/White Flex relay -> starter 2 wire (programming unit for this as well - default is ignition 2)
Pink/Black Flex relay contact 87a - > not connected
RED / Black -> 12V input
The real question is whether I can use the accessory wire from the Viper unit as the ignition 2 wire. If not, I'm assuming I'll need a relay to power the 2nd starter wire. I'm not certain the accessory wire from the Viper will provide power to the ignition when needed. Can someone post some details on how best to connect that up?
The wiring diagram for the Tacoma that I'm referencing is available at:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~99263
Also, any other tips for installing this unit in a Tacoma would be most helpful - thanks!
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Negative GhostRider
all 3 red 12v inputs- to 12v input
Orange- N/C
Pink- IGN1
Pink/white IGN2
Green- Keyside of starter (not necessary to cut and I don't recommend it, because you already have an immobilizer for the vehicle)
Purple Motor side of starter
Purple negative starter (18ga wire on 5 pin green harness from R/S) -Connect to 85 on relay and rest of relay as follows
86- 12v
30- 12v
87- Starter 2
Don't get cheap on a $5 relay. Buy it and forget about it.
moserjj 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2009 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
excellent, thanks for the help. I'll get the relay and install it, sounds easy enough. For the green and purple starter wires, that is the same wire correct (if not cutting as you suggested)? So you tap the green towards the key and the purple on the same wire towards the starter? Seems silly, but easily done. Please correct me if I'm not interpreting that right.
Thanks again.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
If you're going to not cut the starter wire on the car, only connect the purple wire, because that is an output.
If you are going to cut it. Then connect green to key side of the cut wire, and purple to motor side of the cut wire.
moserjj 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
perfect, thanks again!
scorpo900 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2009 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
yimke wrote:
Negative GhostRider
all 3 red 12v inputs- to 12v input
Orange- N/C
Pink- IGN1
Pink/white IGN2
Green- Keyside of starter (not necessary to cut and I don't recommend it, because you already have an immobilizer for the vehicle)
Purple Motor side of starter
Purple negative starter (18ga wire on 5 pin green harness from R/S) -Connect to 85 on relay and rest of relay as follows
86- 12v
30- 12v
87- Starter 2
Don't get cheap on a $5 relay. Buy it and forget about it.
Not to question your experience or knowledge, but, why not use the Accessory wire as IG2, it shows in my tester the same output as the Pink/White when set as Ignition 2 in the alarm? or, use the pink wire IG1 from R/S splice to both Ignition 1 and 2 on vehicle? An answer to the question is appreciated as I have a system here Clifford Matrix 50.7 on a 2005 tacoma V6 and it has no connection to the Ignition 2 wire in vehicle, on remote start the airbag light stays on (no airbags) and the A/C is not running (Both only during remote start operation/ key operation works like a charm). Thank you.
Always test. When in doubt, read and study. If still in doubt, read some more. If that don't work, don't do it then or your burn everything... a Chef
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2009 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
NEVER splice two ignitions or 2 starter wires together. They must be kept as independant circuits. You need to connect your 2nd igntion as Yimke describes to have the truck operate preoperly. You can use the orange to run your accessory circuit but it is optional on Toyota(it just keeps the radio on).
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
moserjj 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
I installed the 5701 unit in my 08 Tacoma over the weekend using the tips provided by yimke (2nd starter relay, etc) and worked like a charm. I did hook up the accessory wire but I do believe it was optional. The accessory, ignition and starter wires are all separate circuits and seems like the best way to go.
moserjj 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2009 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
In my 08 Tacoma, if I leave the headlight switch to Auto, remote start the truck and shut it off with the remote, the headlights will stay on indefinitely (truck looking for door opening or key removed from ignition). I'm wondering if I can take the factory arm output from the Viper unit and pulse the driver doorpin wire to make the headlights go out. If not, any other ways to solve this issue?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2009 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
You can do this, but with some alarms it will trigger the siren also. Personally i like to use a relay and cut the auto light wire at the light switch, triggered by the negative ignition wire. You can just leave it alone, the headlights will turn off when the BCM falls asleep(but it takes a long time).
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic