icon

power source needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daniel gt1 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys..i need your help in choosing an effcient power source for chaging my kinetik hc 1800 battery. I'm currently using 5200wrms on everythings....subs , amps etc. What do you guyz suggest i do ?. Btw, the system is in my room..that's why i need a power source for charging the batterys...thx!!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2009 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
So you need to charge a battery.  I have no idea what you could use to accomplish that.  I will do some research and see if I can come up with something.
daniel gt1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
So you need to charge a battery.  I have no idea what you could use to accomplish that.  I will do some research and see if I can come up with something.
all
th..but i was realy thinking of runing mayb, 2 200amp power supplies in parallel to the battery...so that way the battery will stay charged when in use....
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2009 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Is 2 x 200A enough?
5200W @ 12.0V = 434A
5200W @ 13.8V = 376A
5200W @ 14.4V = 362A
I'd assume the 5200W is @ 13.8V.
But if they are resistive loads (not constant power), that means 393A @ 14.4V.
Ok - so 400A of charging is a good call - albeit close (considering batteries usually take 1%-2% of AH rating as trickle current when fully charged.
You should clarify what power you will be consuming (ie - is 5200W the input power at maximum volume or just your normal volume, or is 5200W an output figure?).
Then clarify if you want the rectifiers (battery charger) to supply that power - hence being able to run at 13.8 to 14.4V (whatever you set the rectifiers to).
If they are undersized to you will be running under 12.7V.
Down here in Aus a 5.2kW load would have to be 3 phase - but that might not be a problem for you.
Three 200W rectifiers would thus fit the requirement.
And each would be running at about 63%-70% of rated output (often a typical situation) but still big enough to handle one failure.
Not that 200A rectifiers are common - except for telecoms & mining - but they usually use 48V else 24V.
And when you find out the price of high power rectifiers etc, it becomes clear why people usually prefer domestic mains AC powered audio gear for big power outputs. (I won't even bother describing the AC-DC (and extra DC-AC-DC?) (in-)efficiency!)
daniel gt1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2009 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
Is 2 x 200A enough?
5200W @ 12.0V = 434A
5200W @ 13.8V = 376A
5200W @ 14.4V = 362A
I'd assume the 5200W is @ 13.8V.
But if they are resistive loads (not constant power), that means 393A @ 14.4V.
Ok - so 400A of charging is a good call - albeit close (considering batteries usually take 1%-2% of AH rating as trickle current when fully charged.
You should clarify what power you will be consuming (ie - is 5200W the input power at maximum volume or just your normal volume, or is 5200W an output figure?).
Then clarify if you want the rectifiers (battery charger) to supply that power - hence being able to run at 13.8 to 14.4V (whatever you set the rectifiers to).
If they are undersized to you will be running under 12.7V.
Down here in Aus a 5.2kW load would have to be 3 phase - but that might not be a problem for you.
Three 200W rectifiers would thus fit the requirement.
And each would be running at about 63%-70% of rated output (often a typical situation) but still big enough to handle one failure.
Not that 200A rectifiers are common - except for telecoms & mining - but they usually use 48V else 24V.
And when you find out the price of high power rectifiers etc, it becomes clear why people usually prefer domestic mains AC powered audio gear for big power outputs. (I won't even bother describing the AC-DC (and extra DC-AC-DC?) (in-)efficiency!)
Understood clearly..but i found a solution frm my friend. I'll run my battery and cap 2gether and frm there. i'll connect my amps....thx for your help people..:D
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2009 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Clever friend! So the cap replaces the rectifiers...
That's brilliant. I have read elsewhere that they increase system voltage - I even use them to blow DC bridges in rechargeable batteries (reco NiCad & NiMH etc) - but I never thought use a bigger one to recharge them.
Does anyone know where I can get a 1GF or larger cap?
Could I get a case of 1mF and invert them (a case of case inverted m->M etc)?
Once your cap has equalised with the batteries, it won't have significant effect so you could start charging that in preparation for the next cycle.
Let us know if you need bigger batteries.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic