the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5301, 2009 corolla

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2009 Coroll with viper 5301 RS installed by Best??Y.  They did a good job and all, but I have found out that they did not hook up the rear window defrost. They are telling me that I need to bring it back to them for this to get hooked up. Meaning more dollars. Is this something that can be hooked up with just a wire or two?  Also I would like to get the trunk to open with the AUX button and the horn to chirp on lock and unlock. Only the lights flash.

I am mechanicaly incline and do have a DEI Bitwriter.

They did NOT give me the installation manual with this RS.  Gave me the one for my Viper 571 in my Ford Taurus!!

Thanks in advance

R

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
The horn honk is a simple wire connection if the Viper has a horn output(usually brown). As for the drfrost and trunk you will need to wire relays for each...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
calitech247 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

Best Buy will usually charge extra to make those additions to your security system.  Rear window defrost, trunk pop, and in most cases horn honk, will all require more wiring and relays.  Being mechanically inclined is all to the GOOD, but I would recommend to take your car to the pros in this case to make the proper electrical connections.  But if you decide to do it yourself good luck anyhow, you should be able to find a copy of the install manual on Vipers website.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
I can understand that the defroster is a somewhat-unusual feature that not every customer wants to pay for.......but if they didn't even try to sell you on the trunk release, that's just lazy.
Anyway:
Trunk release: Pink wire, in a plug low in driver's kick panel. Ordinary SPDT automotive relay required.
It's a "5-wire" or "reversing polarity" type setup....you have to cut the car's pink wire and connect both ends to the relay.
There should be more information in the "relays" section on this site.
The Viper system should have a RED / white, low-current trunk release output to activate the relay.
Rear Defrost: Don't know the color or location, but I hooked it up in a Camry once.
Along the driver's doorsill, test any of the large wires there in the harness running to the back of the car for positive power when the defroster is on.
On the Camry I did, the defroster wire was "5-wire" style as well, and needed to be cut in half and connected to the relay.
The Viper system should have a defroster output, but I have no idea what color it is.
Horn: Simple hookup, no relay required.
Snap off shroud around steering column. (Have car's interior fully warmed up; plastic panels are brittle when cold.)
Behind the steering wheel are two plugs: One is yellow and has the airbag wires; avoid it. The other plug only has a few wires....one of those will test as ground when honking the horn.
I can't remember the horn-honk wire color for the Viper (brown?), but it can be connected straight to the Corolla's horn wire, with no relay required.
If your 5301 is an alarm/starter combo, the horn output is going to be off by default. You'll need to go into the Viper's programming menu and turn the horn honk feature on.
Install guide: No idea; but maybe someone else here will have a link for it online.
Good luck!
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
Pretty much what Chris said, only I have one addition.
If you do it yourself you will void your warranty. If anything goes wrong and you try to bring it back to any Best Buy, they will charge you for the time it took them to troubleshoot it. So $30-40 now is not that much compared to $80 dollars later.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Chris as usual is quite correct and I totally agree with the trunk wire comments. RED / white from alarm to relay 85, 15amp fused constant to 86 and 87. switch side of cut wire to 87a and relase (trunk) side of cut wire to 30. same wiring layout for the rear defroster.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hey,

Thanks for everybodys info on this subject. I have been studying all of this stuff and researching the SPDT relay stuff.  I didn't know about these relays. I will probably try this out on my 2000 Taurus with the Viper 571 to see how it works before I try it on the wifes '09 Corolla. Might wait until spring for this since it is winter here and don't want to work in the cold. Plus don't want to screw up the wifes car trying to hurry.

Still not sure what wire goes where on these relays for rear window defrost. neg side of defrost switch, pos side of defrost switch.???

Thanks again

Rich

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic