icon

quantum audio 1200w 4ch static

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shkeel 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased a 05 srt4 with a QA 1200w 4 channel amp and memphis audio components all the way around. Well apparently the car was owned by a 16 year old with daddy's wallet. The car is heavily modded but I don't think theres one thing put on the car correctly. The amp was wired with the signal and power wires on the same side, and the wires from the amp to the front speakers was hacked. Now my problem is that I rewired the power/signal/amp turn-on/front speakers. All of the alternator hum went away but one speaker still sounds blown. I figured it was so i replaced the back 6x9 with a known good speaker. But the speaker still has this noise, its hard to describe but it sounds as though the speaker is blown. I know for a fact its not the speakers, but could it be from the wire grounding out or is one channel on the amp bad? I've replaced dirty POTs on home receivers that caused static when adjusting the volume. Is this something i could tackle on my own or am i SOL?
94 Camaro Z28
Jensen 7" Indash-DVD/mp3/tv
Rockford ChromeSeries 600/2
Power Accoustic 12" Dvc700rms
Rockford Power T162C
JLaudio 6.5" 75rms
PS2 Slim hardwired
Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
Could be as simple as the speaker wire. You say they were hacked off. Hook a good piece of speaker wire to the channel on the amp in question and hook a known working speaker to it. If the problem is fixed by that. then the factory wire may be either be open somewhere causing the wire to ground out or it could be wire on wire from being pinched.
quantum audio 1200w 4ch static - Last Post -- posted image.
Garth 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
You may also have the tinsel lead vibrating against the back of the cone, or something against the cone/surround on the front side (like a grill). Switch your speaker leads around on the amp. Does the sound change to the different speakers?
Garth Shostal
Ground Pounders - Automotive Security
Est. 1998
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2009 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect that speaker wire from the amp, disconnect another speaker wire from the amp.  Now connect the first wire removed to the set of terminals you removed the second speaker from.  And vice versa.  If the problem switches to the other speaker, there is a problem with the amp or the signal getting to the amp.  If the same speaker still has the problem, the problem is the speaker or the wires connecting that speaker to the amp.
shkeel 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2009 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  

Ya I'm positive that its either the amp or wire and not the speaker.  I didn't have time to work on it yesterday but I'll try tonight.  I was just wondering if a grounded/shorted speaker wire would make it sound like that.  It only sounds doodiety with it turned up and lots of bass, but at low levels you cant really tell.  I've had multiple blown speakers before from surround separating to spider coming apart, and this sounds just like that.  But I know its not the speaker..............i fckin hate newb installers that hack everything together to make it work.  Its hard to explain, but for the front speakers he went from the amp to the back stock wires then crimped the fronts to the backs behind the head unit so he wouldn't have to run new lines...........on a 1200w amp :(

94 Camaro Z28
Rockford Power T162C
JLaudio 6.5" 75rms
PS2 Slim hardwired
shkeel 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2009 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
ok so I did some diagnosing, and it is the amp that is shot. The #4 channel has massive amounts of low pass distortion. I tested all the channels on the amp with a known good speaker and wire and 3 out of the 4 channels tested good. I'm pretty much gunna throw the amp away....... so is there any way that i could fix this myself?
94 Camaro Z28
Rockford Power T162C
JLaudio 6.5" 75rms
PS2 Slim hardwired
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Yes there is a good chance you can repair your amp.  I am not familiar with that particular amplifier, so if you can take the cover off and take a few photographs of the circuit board, I can tell you where to look for a few things that would cause such distortion.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic