icon

bypass modules galore

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigblue06 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  

Alright, I'm sure you've all heard this story before. I use to install about 4 years ago when the key in the box was still considered the bypass module of all bypass modules. I now find myself installing again and I just can't keep up with all these modules. DLPKGM, XK01-5, and so forth and so on... I've got an account on Directechs and have gone through all the steps on there where it tells me which I need, but I never can get the right one to work the door locks and the immobilizer.

Can someone just give me a brief overview of what these things will and will not do? Issues with new cars? Anything else you think I need to know? Or Point me in the right direction of the elusive thread that breaks all this down?

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

there is no magic thread... just follow up with the companies... i always search all my supplies first, Idata, Xpresskit, Bypasskit, Fortin, etc and choose between their offerings based on ease of install and my own comfort level.....

usually a search on their websites will let you know which modules will do what, some only do bypass, some do locks as well, some do OE alarm, disarm and keyless, etc. etc.....

a good rule of thumb to follow is to have a good supply of "Multi Platform" modules, that way you have to stock less and usually have a module that will work in stock.... I use a lot of the Idatalink Multi pieces....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
bigblue06 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

I hear ya. The main issue I've been running into is that for one car a module will do locks and remote start but on the next car that same module will only do locks. It's hard to keep up.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I've heard on most of the new cars you just have to do your standard ignition harness, ground, lights, and tap the purple(dont quote me on that) wire on the OBDII plug and that will take care of most of Remote start, keyless, etc.. . Is that right?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb guys, I'm just trying to get back up to speed on everything. I work at a very little mom and pop shop that does audio  on the side(trying to make my way through college) and they refuse to keep anything in stock. I have to order everything per car.

beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
I do dealer work and I used to carry a huge box of overrides that took up too much room in the car. I now carry my laptop and idatalink's ads-al-ca modules. As long as I can get a wi-fi connection the module can be programmed to do almost any toyota, honda, gm, ford, nissan, dodge, and more. They are very reliable and have great tech support.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, you have the Big Three: Trilogix (bypasskit.com), Fortin (ifar.ca), and ADS (idatalink.com)
DEI bought Trilogix. In my opinion, Trilogix hasn't come out with anything cool or interesting in years.
Now, DEI is also selling rebadged Fortin pieces. PKALL, DLPK, and so forth, are rebadged Fortin.
Audiovox Flashlogic (flash-it.com) is a limited line of rebadged ADS pieces.
I especially like the people at ADS, partially because I know them personally and they're great people, and partially because they're always working hard, innovating, coming out with new things, and have excellent tech support.
Many installers choose the module on a car-by-car basis, based on features, install time, and cost.
I think if you're a little rusty at this, the best approach would be to go to all three manufacturers' websites, put in the particular car you're be working on, find the products, and read the install guides.
Only with the three install guides to compare, will you be able to truly decide which module will be better or easier.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, when I started back up 2 years ago I had to do the same thing. Research research research. Sometimes the key in the coffin is still the best on some vehicles.
Brent Haugen
Fargo, ND
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2009 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

Chris Luongo wrote:
Ok, you have the Big Three: Trilogix (bypasskit.com), Fortin (ifar.ca), and ADS (idatalink.com)
DEI bought Trilogix. In my opinion, Trilogix hasn't come out with anything cool or interesting in years.
Now, DEI is also selling rebadged Fortin pieces. PKALL, DLPK, and so forth, are rebadged Fortin.
Audiovox Flashlogic (flash-it.com) is a limited line of rebadged ADS pieces.
I especially like the people at ADS, partially because I know them personally and they're great people, and partially because they're always working hard, innovating, coming out with new things, and have excellent tech support.
Many installers choose the module on a car-by-car basis, based on features, install time, and cost.
I think if you're a little rusty at this, the best approach would be to go to all three manufacturers' websites, put in the particular car you're be working on, find the products, and read the install guides.
Only with the three install guides to compare, will you be able to truly decide which module will be better or easier.

As stated...Any of these sites you go to will have a spot to enter Year,Make,Model...At that point a list of bypasses will come up...Showing you there functions...Its alot to remember and i find that the easiest way to do it...Just like when i bid a Remote Start / Alarm job...I ALWAYS pull up the notes/tech sheet...! Like cars you have to go into the door for dis-arms and locks...(honda's...etc...) Worst case you could make a cheat sheet for more popular cars and reference the site for less known cars...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic