icon

best port/driver direction in trunk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
morganpartee 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Hey there guys. Fairly new to building for SPL. My plan was to build an enclosure with 4 drivers, and 4 ports, all facing upwards, torwards my trunk lid. Then I got criticism from local shops, and they suggested facing my drivers and ports different directions, such as all backwards.
What is the general consensus?
Thanks- Morganpartee
squires500 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2009 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
it depends on the shape of the car. you want to try eliminate any interference or echos so imagine a line coming straight out of the subs they will bounce off anything at the same angle they hit it and any soft porous material will deaden the sound.
my favorite position is back left and right of the boot facing the middle of the dash. facing them straight up or down will case lots of echo in a sedan but in a hatch can be awesome as you bypass the back seat and the sound bounces off the back windshield straight at the driver.
there are hundreds of variables that effect where the sub should be located and what direction it should face. the best way to find a good position is to build a small MDF box and place a sub in it (this is known as a test sub) then plug the sub into an amp and chuck it in the boot, sit in the drivers seat and see where the sound is best you can roll the box to most locations and directions just depends how much time you have this also works better with two people.
morganpartee 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thing with right and left facing inwards is phasing issues isn't it?
Or does phase really matter that much if they're dead on facing inward?
Also- It will be in a sedan.
Thanks for the input!
squires500 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
phasing is an issue if they face towards one another mine placed there tend to face mostly forward so there is no real phasing issues but given your 4 driver setup its prob best to do the install behind the back seats facing forward

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic