icon

spray on bed liner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pcana11 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2009 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  
can anybody tell me the preperation i will need to do a spray on bed liner for my speaker box?
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2009 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
on a box, just block it and clean off all the dust really well.
kevin@atrendusa 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2009 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

When spraying an enclosure you want to ensure that the preparation is done right. This can be the deciding factor of the bass response you get from your woofers.

Some things to do:

1.) Ensure wood / board is completely free of dust.

2.) Sand down the edges and corners (I would go with a radius / round over)

3.) Sand down any loose fibers of board

4.) Putty all of the nails / brads that are showing

Spray twice to ensure air tight seal. A company that does this very well is www.atrendusa.com, maybe contact their technical department with questions!

Cheers

"Build something that has meaning!"
Atrend USA
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2009 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
kevin@atrendusa wrote:

When spraying an enclosure you want to ensure that the preparation is done right. This can be the deciding factor of the bass response you get from your woofers.

spray on bed liner -- posted image. where in the world did you hear that? the outside finish on any enclosure has exactly 0% to do with how the enclosure will perform and the sound you will get from it.

j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2009 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:
kevin@atrendusa wrote:

spray on bed liner -- posted image. where in the world did you hear that? the outside finish on any enclosure has exactly 0% to do with how the enclosure will perform and the sound you will get from it.

I was thinking the same thing myself. Maybe for the inside? But as for the prep its about spot on.
spray on bed liner -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2009 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
I knew I shoild have held on to that terrible sounding enclosure.  I could have sprayed it with bedliner.
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2009 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
I knew I shoild have held on to that terrible sounding enclosure.  I could have sprayed it with bedliner.

Hey!! so, i wonder how much BETTER any existing enclosures i have will sound if i spray them with bed liner??

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2009 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

bassman2000 wrote:

A spray lined enclosure will offer a few pro's that a standard carpeted enclosure won't..

1.) an air tight seal

huh?? uhhhh yea, I'm gonna highly disagree with you here, why?

because I build all my enclosures air tight from the start, regardless of the outside finish, duh!

and anybody who builds a half decent enclosure will tell you they do the same. dont believe me? ask around on this forum, you'll see what i mean.

pcana11 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
i was also wondering how that would make it sound better. if anything its taking away from the internal volume. but i just decided to go with vinyl
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2009 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
bassman2000 wrote:
ckeeler wrote:

bassman2000 wrote:

A spray lined enclosure will offer a few pro's that a standard carpeted enclosure won't..

1.) an air tight seal

huh?? uhhhh yea, I'm gonna highly disagree with you here, why?

because I build all my enclosures air tight from the start, regardless of the outside finish, duh!

and anybody who builds a half decent enclosure will tell you they do the same. dont believe me? ask around on this forum, you'll see what i mean.

I think we all agree, a box should be made air tight from the get go!! This response is directed to the question regarding how a box that is OLD will sound...like I stated...test for airleaks. If air leaks then proceed to spray it...this WILL offer an airtight seal.

Try it on a leaky box and see the difference.

In the case of an air leak it would be much easier and cheaper to just re-silicone the enclosure. BTW if the enclosure is leaking it was not built right the first time! Using spray liner to repair an air leak from a leaky enclosure is like polishing a turd. Sure you can do it, but now its just a polished turd.
spray on bed liner -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic