icon

over charging alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I just got a new 220 Amp alternators in my truck and When i turn up the radio the voltage will drop to about 12v then spike sometimes up to 15.5v causing my subwoofer amp to cut off. But my Rockford Fosgate amp on my door speakers stay on. Is this spike due to not having a deep cycle battery? Do I need a Better ground on my subwoofer amp?
Thanks
Adam
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Some amplifiers will not work if it sees too much voltage on the remote wire.  
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Some amplifiers will not work if it sees too much voltage on the remote wire.  
So Should I lessen the gauge on the remote wire and give that a try? and does the remote wire fluctuate in voltage as the power wire does?
I noticed today when i turn the radio down or there's a pause and the alt is able to recharge everything in that fraction of a second the voltage spikes up to that 14.8-15.7v range if this information helps any.
Thanks
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
A smaller wire will not do the trick.   You have a couple of options, first is to make that amp the last in line with the remote wire and inserting a resistor in series to drop the voltage a bit.  You will have to experiment with resistor values to see what your amp needs.  First try 100 ohms then 470 and then 1K ohms.  If that is not enough, measure the voltage drop across the 1K resistor and let me know what that reading is.  Second would be to purchase a 7812 voltage regulator from radioshack.com, and install that device before the remote terminal of that amp.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
A smaller wire will not do the trick.   You have a couple of options, first is to make that amp the last in line with the remote wire and inserting a resistor in series to drop the voltage a bit.  You will have to experiment with resistor values to see what your amp needs.  First try 100 ohms then 470 and then 1K ohms.  If that is not enough, measure the voltage drop across the 1K resistor and let me know what that reading is.  Second would be to purchase a 7812 voltage regulator from radioshack.com, and install that device before the remote terminal of that amp.
Alright ill get into that tomorrow. Do you think the second option of the regulator might be the best?
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have an electronics parts retailer near you? I do not think Radio Shack stocks that part.  They do keep resistors in stock.

rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i see it on radio shack website. I'll try the resistors for the time being while the chip is coming in. If you think the chip is the most efficient.
I can't hear you!
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2009 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
and no i dont have a electronics store close by what im seeing on google.
I can't hear you!
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2009 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I got the regulator they did have it in stock and its still doing it. There's only one way to hook it up right? You cant hook it up and it still work. I think I may have to get a capacitor to keep the stream smooth. The Alt is easily powering my system but it just spikes too high up. what do you think? is there a regulator for power cable?
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 07, 2009 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Did you ground the center leg of the regulator?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic