icon

body filler

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2009 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
Im in the finishing stages of a fiberglass enclosure that will be getting painted...Ive done fiberglass before buy it was covered in fabric or body work was done by the paint shop....
I used the 5:1 Rage Gold/Resin mixture and spot filled any major dips or fissures...but after sanding i noticed i have a large amount of small pin holes that resemble air bubbles...Is this normal, and if so, what is the best way to go about filling these? It seems like body filler is a little too thick to go in these holes smoothly...
Thank You...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2009 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
There are different body fillers out there you can use. Go to a local automotive shop and see if they have any lightweight fillers. They are made for doing the finishing coat and filling pin holes. They are also much easier to sand and work with. Just put on a coat or two after you get rid of your major bumps and use it as you final coat.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2009 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
dont use body filler to try and fill those little holes. use whats called "glazing putty" to fill the small holes. let dry and sand.
cloak559 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2009 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:
dont use body filler to try and fill those little holes. use whats called "glazing putty" to fill the small holes. let dry and sand.
My local automotive paint and body store is about 30min away from my current location. Can I get this glazing putty at autozone or wal-mart?
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2009 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
yes you can. autozone should have the "Bondo" brand of glazing putty. should be in an orange tube.
cloak559 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2009 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tips. I picked up the glazing putty at AutoZone. They had two types, one with a hardener and one without...I got the one with the hardener...It's working decently but is definitely a lengthy process I wasn't anticipating. Is there any way to avoid these pinholes or is this a normal occurrence? My 8 cubic foot enclosure is about 50% covered with these random patches of pin holes...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
cloak559 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I picked up the glazing putty at AutoZone. They had two types, one with a hardener and one without...I got the one with the hardener...It's working decently but is definitely a lengthy process I wasn't anticipating. Is there any way to avoid these pinholes or is this a normal occurrence? My 8 cubic foot enclosure is about 50% covered with these random patches of pin holes...
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic