icon

trailor alarm wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
.............................^  trailor alarm wiring - Page 2 -- posted image. ................ trailor alarm wiring - Page 2 -- posted image.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
two12 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
oddspark? D*&%!
THE TOPIC IS:
Dual Alarms connected by Tow vehicle to Trailor connection via parking/running light circuit.
two autopage RF425LCD systems (but could be any brand) one onboard the tow vehicle, one onboard the trailor. both have their own isolated power source.
the issue is when they are linked by the parking/running light wirring while attached. I need them both to function as normal and independent without problematic issues.
I could just skip tapping the trailors running lights with the trailors alarm system but I prefer to have that feature for silent confirmation.
I could add seperate lights just for this purpose but Id rather avoid doing that aswell.
also, knowing how to acomplish this would be very helpful for me as I have other plans that involve similar circuitry conflicts that I will need to know how to overcome.
looking for some help here.. does anyone here have it that can stick to the subject?
as I mentioned this is a starting point for a very complicated project, I have many other questions regarding 12volt systems. am I in the right place? are there other forums that may be more helpful with non-standard and unusual 12volt wiring senarios anyone could share with me (PM me if you like)
thanks
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Then you need appropriate OR-ing of the lights etc involved.
The trailer needs to signal or feed the car lamps and vice-versa.
How would you like to do it?
I'd suggest rewiring the lights involved to be fed by a relay. The relay id diode-OR tiggered from the different sources (light switch or indicator can, alarm#1, alarm#2).
Mind you - the indicators are likely to be a problem (if the can uses load sensing).
Faulty bulb detectors might also be a problem if they don't tolerate "bulb on" but "no trigger".   
Or you can keep the independent lamp operation so you know which alarm has been armed, disarmed, and triggered.
And then just interconnect the sirens and strobe lights and internal high-SPL sources.
I'll assume you still want the individual key fobs.
two12 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
Then you need appropriate OR-ing of the lights etc involved.
OR-ing? Ohms Resistance? are you saying I need the total resistance of all the lights involved?
oldspark wrote:
The trailer needs to signal or feed the car lamps and vice-versa.
No, I dont need them to operate each other, I need them to work correctly own there own but not cause problems when the tow and trailor are connected via the parking/running light circuit.
oldspark wrote:
I'd suggest rewiring the lights involved to be fed by a relay.
I dont belive that to be nesessary in this case. it is however a topic for another circuit in this project that we can hopefully discuss later.
I think if I add the proper diodes into each "flash" wire coming from the alarm before connecting it to the running light circuit of each vehicle (one diode in each vehicle system) I will have satisfactory results. I guess I will just have to test this to find out.
does anyone forsee any problems/issues with combining these circuits in this manner?
before I can test, I need to find a reliable online source for diodes (and related components) in the US since I have not been able to attain them locally. any suggestions?
thanks
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ohm Resistance - I like that - very clever! (Seriously)
But apologies - "OR" as in logic OR as opposed to AND (and Not N...s ie NOR & NAND) & others (XOR).
That's a primitive form of algebra (Boolean Algebra) that existed way before cars and artificial electronics.
"We" pinched Boolean Logic to further our electrical and electronic requirements. (Another example of old primitive tools finding a modern application.)
I meant where diodes are used to "parallel" inputs.
EG - light = alarm OR lamp-switch OR Two12's-switch.
Three trigger sources via diodes to a common load.
I could give examples for the Aux battery relay triggering - which is really derived from a fuel-pump control circuit (normal "only when engine running" plus:- prime, bypass/override, milk, etc), but let's stay on-thread eh? (LOL)
As to your alarms "not causing problems", you'll have to be more specific - what problems?   
Trailer lights will come on if controlled by the vehicle etc.
What "problems" do you NOT want? (If I get a parenthood statement like "any problem that may occur" that is not admissible in specifications and courts, then others with specific alarm experience will have to answer.)
Which thread is this.... trailer alarm... oh cool - that was still on-thread.   trailor alarm wiring - Page 2 -- posted image. trailor alarm wiring - Page 2 -- posted image.!    trailor alarm wiring - Page 2 -- posted image.!!
two12 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
What "problems" do you NOT want?
I do NOT want any and OR all problems.
I cant think of any but its quite simple
you have a tow vehicle running light circuit (including everything attached to it)
and a trailor light circuit (ditto)
and two alarm systems connected via
nevermind..
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
LOL!
As I said, I can't answer parenthood questions.
But I see no problems - depending on how your alarm lights are wired. And it assumes adequate fusing, cabling and battery capacity etc.
So one set of lights also drives the other (unless there are blocking diodes or the bulbs are not commoned together) - is that a problem?
Or do you do want them kept individual (eg: add blocking diodes so the car and its alarm can turn trailer lights on, but the trailer alarm cannot turn the car lights on)?    
I can't give a more specific answer without more detail or specific behaviours.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic