icon

need advice, to repair or replace?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
overdriv 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all. I have a 2004 GM silverado Z-71 with a CD/cassette AMFM radio that has a broken CDplayer. Will not eject the CD. Dealer wants $225-$275 to send in for repairs. Junk yard wants $175 for a used out of a wreck. Then dealer wants $50 ro program to my truck so it will work???
I'm not sure about any of this as I have no knowledge or experience with the new anti-theft stuff.
It looks like it would be easier to just buy an aftermarket CD AMFM player and be done with it. But then will all the chimes come through an aftermarket head unit, like low gas warning, turn signal on, etc.??
The 2-din units look nice and have bigger easier to see controls, but seem to be very few to choose from.
I have read a lot of stuff on this vast and wonderful site but seem to get more confused the more I read.
Any advice and comments would be welcome. Thanks.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
If you go the aftermarket route, you will be able to retain your chimes.  However it will come at a cost.  Depending on whether or not you have on-star or a Bose system, the cost of the wiring harness could be upwards of 140 dollars.  Plus the installation kit, and labor plus the cost of the new radio.
overdriv 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
I do not have on-star or Bose.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
The harness for your vehicle retails for around 100 dollars. 
overdriv 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
So it appears like it may be cheaper to have it repaired.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
FYI - most CD/DVD drives have a pinhole at the front through which pushing a pin (eg: straightened paper clip; with reasonable force) should manually eject the disk.
If my PC's previous owner had have done that, he might have kept his "faulty"(sic) DVD burner and recovered its two licensed DVDs. need advice, to repair or replace? -- posted image.
overdriv 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
FYI - most CD/DVD drives have a pinhole at the front through which pushing a pin (eg: straightened paper clip; with reasonable force) should manually eject the disk.
If my PC's previous owner had have done that, he might have kept his "faulty"(sic) DVD burner and recovered its two licensed DVDs. need advice, to repair or replace? -- posted image.
I have looked for that on the front of the cd player and it doesn't have the hole.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 13, 2009 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
I have yet to see one of those holes on an automotive CD player.  Computer drives yes, but not on an automotive deck.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2009 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
My bad.
I may be confusing the resets on my recent Alpines as well as recalling a "manual extraction" but after some dismantling.
weseek1 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

overdriv wrote:
Hello all. I have a 2004 GM silverado Z-71 with a CD/cassette AMFM radio that has a broken CDplayer. Will not eject the CD. Dealer wants $225-$275 to send in for repairs. Junk yard wants $175 for a used out of a wreck. Then dealer wants $50 ro program to my truck so it will work???
I'm not sure about any of this as I have no knowledge or experience with the new anti-theft stuff.
It looks like it would be easier to just buy an aftermarket CD AMFM player and be done with it. But then will all the chimes come through an aftermarket head unit, like low gas warning, turn signal on, etc.??
The 2-din units look nice and have bigger easier to see controls, but seem to be very few to choose from.
I have read a lot of stuff on this vast and wonderful site but seem to get more confused the more I read.
Any advice and comments would be welcome. Thanks.

I experienced the same problem with my '03 Sierra factory HU. For $150.00  I had mine repaired by a company in Florida. Turn around was very quick and they provide a warranty. Check out www...com. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic