regarding transponder bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pele2048 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
The stickied thread on them is closed... My question is this:
Once you've installed the transponder bypass in order to install a remote start unit, how do you retain the security feature of the the transponder in protecting the car against theft?
The way I understand it, the transponder prevents the vehicle from starting if someone were to use a slide hammer or drill to forcefully remove the ignition lock cylinder and then use a screwdriver to turn the ignition switch and unlock the steering wheel... Or if they were to pry off the plastic steering column cover and short the ignition switch wiring and drill out the steering lock pin... (I've bought cars from auction without keys. I know how this works.)
With the transponder bypass device, it either emulates a key responding to the anti-theft unit's signal, or bypasses the anti-theft unit all together.
I would like to install a remote start device into my girlfriend's 2001 Nissan Altima GXE (Equipped with factory remote locks and anti-theft.) and have already gotten the wire color codes from this site:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~65638
But I'm wary of putting in an item that will make the vehicle easier to steal.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
pele2048,
A transponder bypass isn't active at all times - just when the remote starter is active. At all other times the immobilizer is still protecting the vehicle from a hotwire attempt.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Dont worry to much...You can cut the metal part off before you stick it in the bypass(the part that actually slides into the ignition cylinder)...If it makes you a little more comfortable...! Mr.Wallace covered the rest there...! Only active during remote start...Or by a Flat-Bed truck...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
pele2048 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
chriswallace187: Good to know. The one's I've seen are just a black box. I've not downloaded any documentation yet.
tommy: Metal part? Perhaps I'm missing what you're saying here... The transponder bypass devices I've seen don't have metal parts.
This is one that came up in Google Search:
http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=PKN2
I thought I just bolt this guy up to the metal dashboard frame under the steering column... Kinda like a shock sensor for an alarm.
Speaking of alarms, this vehicle already has a factory anti-theft system... Though the only remote I have is kinda beat up. One of the buttons is broken so it either only locks or only unlocks, I forget which since it's been sitting in a drawer for a while. (Waiting on a dead head unit or other machine that I can rob buttons off of.)
Factory remotes don't have a button for remote start obviously. Would an aftermarket alarm conflict with the factory security system? I've never tried to work with two security systems in the same vehicle.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
pele2048, Tommy is assuming use of a universal transponder bypass where a vehicle key is inserted in the bypass module. It's not a bad practice in that case to either cut the shaft of the key or (depending on the make of the vehicle) program an uncut key to work in the bypass.
Also you should be able to do this install with a PKN2 and the wiring info from the thread you linked.
No conflict from the factory alarm, provided you choose a remote starter which has outputs for factory alarm disarm and rearm. That beat up remote, though, even working properly, would not disarm an aftermarket alarm. Use the aftermarket remote alone if you install a remote start/alarm combination unit.
It probably wouldn't hurt to tie the PKN2 to a metal dash piece, however it's much easier to just tie it to a wiring harness, as small as it is.
pele2048 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
That was the plan, get that PKN2 and some type of DEI branded alarm and stick them all into the car. Toss the stock remote.
Final questions on this subject before I start swiping the credit card...
DEI. Is it all that it's cracked up to be? I've also heard of Compustar and Crimestopper. I think Alpine makes some security gear as well. I know the brand is popular, but am I just paying for a name?
Secondly, is it advisable to use this PKN2 device with any of the above branded alarms or should I keep it all from the same manufacturer? Would DEI (Or any of the above branded manufacturers) produce something similar?
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
DEI's fine. Maybe a little more pricey but as far as I'm concerned the ease of install/programming makes it worthwhile.
FWIW, the PKN2 is made by Bypasskit, who's now owned by DEI. It's not necessary to stick with the same brand though - basically all remote starters are going to have a ground-when-running output, which is what switches a bypass on. (It might make a difference if you were going to use a bypass which has a data-to-data cable connection to a remote start, but the PKN2 isn't that type of bypass.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic