icon

astrostart problem in 1997 toyota tacoma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jem77pmc 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not an installer, just a used who is having major frustration with my Astrostart system in a 1997 manual transmission Toyota Tacoma. Problem is that maybe 10% of the time, after sitting overnight and particularly on the coldest days of course, it does not start. I have found no rhyme, reason or pattern as to when it won't work other than it happens in the morning, never at other times.

When I activate it upon exiting the vehicle with correct sequence everything acts as it should for it to be ready to go in the morning. But some days, and again, not every day, I get nada. No cranking of the engine or anything. The engine LED on the keychain lights up red and it beeps.

My installer has gone over it with a fine toothed comb a few times, checked for error codes and says that the last 30 shutdowns were as they were supposed to be. He found no evidence of failures despite my insistance that it failed to start 3-4 times in the past week and a half.    

It's really driving me crazy, I'd just as soon not have the thing than be annoyed by it's not starting at random. What would some of you installers do to try to diagnose this problem? Thanks very much.  

jem77pmc 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
The Astrostart model is 2205U if that helps. Thanks again.
monty_77 
Copper - Posts: 491
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
the biggest problem i have had with astrostarts is that the are improperly grounded.
next time it does not start. look under the dash with out hitting the brake (it will reset the codes) and count the flashes of the led.
if it repeats 2 flashes it most likely some thing to do with the ground.
jem77pmc 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
Well it happened again this morning despite a successful test upon exiting last night. The light under the dashboard was continually blinking. Does that signify anything that might be telling to my particular issue? Thanks.
monty_77 
Copper - Posts: 491
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
count the flashes there should be a pause in them about two to three seconds and them it will repeat.
and list the number of flashes here and i can tell you what it is.
if the engine is running and you look down there it will rapidly flash that just means that it getting a tach signal
you will have to look at it after a failed start attempt and then count the flash before you start it or step on the brake
rustic_comfort 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 98 nissan frontier manual tran, with a 2205 astro start I found on cold days -20 that it would not remote start with out pushing in the clutch. To combat this I would us cold temp start at night to move all the fluids in the truck. hope this helps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic