icon

jbl 24001 gto amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
napew2008 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone have any reviews about this amp? I'm thinking of buying this amp for my single DD 9510 ten inch sub. I'm planning on wiring it series at 2 ohms (sub is dual 1 ohm). I'm wondering if this amp can handle this set up or will it shut down on me like my rockford punch 1000bd has at 2 ohms. The amp claims 2 ohm stable, but what if it's not. My rockford shuts down if played too loud; probably because it's not stable at 2 ohms like it claims. The new JBL claims to be stable at 2 ohms (2400 watts)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Your Rockford is probably shutting down because the gain is too high or because your system voltage is dropping too low.  The JBL amp is IMO a better amp than the RF, but any amp that is set up incorrectly or if system voltage drops too low will shut down.
Support the12volt.com
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
napew2008 wrote:
Does anyone have any reviews about this amp? I'm thinking of buying this amp for my single DD 9510 ten inch sub. I'm planning on wiring it series at 2 ohms (sub is dual 1 ohm). I'm wondering if this amp can handle this set up or will it shut down on me like my rockford punch 1000bd has at 2 ohms. The amp claims 2 ohm stable, but what if it's not. My rockford shuts down if played too loud; probably because it's not stable at 2 ohms like it claims. The new JBL claims to be stable at 2 ohms (2400 watts)
I agree with DYohn. Not trying to be rude, but you didn't understand what the crossover on the amp did in relation to the tune of your enclosure. What are the chances your gain is all the way up trying to make full power from it? Also you have (1) 10". Sure your trying to make it play like its 2 12s? How To Set Gains topic. Use that topic to set your gains correctly. Im betting your gain is WAY too high.
jbl 24001 gto amp? -- posted image.
napew2008 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
My question is not why my amp is shutting down, but does anyone have anyone have any reviews about the JBL amp? Hence, the title...I only added info about my present amp. Don't worry about the Rockford.
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
napew2008 wrote:
My question is not why my amp is shutting down, but does anyone have any reviews about the JBL amp? Hence, the title... Don't worry about the Rockford.
The JBL is a good amp, but with improperly set gains. Expect it to do the same. Which is why i mentioned the how to set gains topic. Again not trying to bash you or be an ass. Just calling it as i see it.
napew2008 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
So do you have info about the JBL or not?
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
JBL GTO 24001 GTO Series Single-Channel Subwoofer Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 1750 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 2400 watts x 1 chan.
MOSFET power supply
Wired remote bass level control included
LED power indicators
Tuned Bass EQ (0-12 dB bass boost)
Single channel operation
1 Set of preamp RCA outputs
Heavy duty aluminum alloy heatsink for maximum heat dissipation
RCA level inputs
Screw terminals
Variable high-pass filter (10-100 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Variable low-pass filter (32-320 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
THD at Rated RMS Power: 0.5%
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 97 dB
Frequency response: 20-330 Hz
Dimensions: 24-7/8"L x 10-3/8"W x 2"H
That enough info? The amp is a decent amp, but as i said before. Expect it to do the same as your Rockford if you do not set the gains properly. Not to mention that amp will pull 2 times the current as your Rockford. So make sure your electrical can back it.
napew2008 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
I looked up the same info on their websites, but what i need is someone with actual first hand experience with these amps and not copy and paste info from their webpage. Thanks for trying to help, but again first hand experience, and not to be an ass, but don't be so hung up on the gains; already tried, still...
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
You have been told TWO times it is a good to decent amp. I have installed a couple of them. Do you even read the answers? Dyohn said it is better than RF in his opinion.
DON'T you get get hung up on us trying to give you the reason your other amp is not working. It is because of two common reasons. You don't have enough power from your alt too keep it going or you gain is WAY too high.
Guess what? The JBL24001 GTO will Pull two times more current than your amp now. Making it even harder on your electrical system. So if you are having a voltage problem now, It will be worse with the new amplifier. If you took the time to read the answers you recieved, maybe you could understand that.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
I do not know if I should post this, since I have no first hand experience with the 2400.  But I can tell you that when the 1200s break, they break BIG.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic